I'm a Canon 1DsMKIII Shooter - Need Advice on 5D MKII Type Quality Cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1
New Boot

I'm a Canon 1DsMKIII Shooter - Need Advice on 5D MKII Type Quality Cam

Hello all -

I've been given a project to create high-quality video and the only reference point that I have is the 5D MKII. I LOVE the low light capabilities of the 5D and am looking for a true video camera that can do this for me.

What are my options as it looks like the 5D MKII might be too constraining in the audio side as I don't want two systems.
Steve Mullholand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What's your budget and are you looking to rent or own?
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm not sure about your audio question, but here goes...

* You can use the onboard mic. If nothing else, this is handy for syncing audio from a separate recorder.

* You can connect a "real" microphone to the 1/8" input using an adapter/transformer. They cost about $20. The mic must be self powered (dynamic, or a shotgun with a battery). You can't control the gain though...

* You can connect via an external mixer, such as a BeachTek or SoundDevices. Now you have phantom power and level control. There is a debate about whether or not the camera will mess things up with automatic gain control though.

* The surefire solution is a separate recorder, such as a Zoom H4 or better. As long as there is enough recognizable audio, you can sync to the onboard mic without the need for a clapper. If there's no dialog to use as a reference, make sure to say something unique to sync to at the start of each shot. You might use a clapper once, so you can account for any video/audio delay in the camera.

The other option is to choose a different camera with good audio features, but nothing else competes at this price point with such a large sensor and low-light sensitivity. Yet.
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
New Boot

^ Thanks - that makes sense.

I have around $25,000 to purchase everything from cameras (need 2) to software / PC or Mac / and maybe some training...?!?

I know that isn't a lot of money but I need to stretch this as far as I can. The bottom line - I need some really, really high-quality video for my clients. I usually shoot deep shadows / night shots and that is why I dug the 5DMKII so much. Plus I'm familiar with Canon - but I'm not tied to it either.

The best would be if I could get a system that I can create Blu-ray content as well... 30p looks awesome - but how tough is it to go to 24p??
Steve Mullholand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullholand View Post
I have around $25,000 to purchase everything from cameras (need 2) to software / PC or Mac / and maybe some training...?!?
The training is a great idea. You can learn a lot more about what you'll need after a few weeks of intense training. I like self-directed learning through books, videos, and practice.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Trustee

If your willing to wait until around March or April, the HD version of the G1 might be what you’re looking for since Panasonic promises that the camera will control just like a traditional AVCHD camcorder in its video mode.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi,

You need to give more detail about your project. What is your end use and output type? is it just Blue-ray? how much experience do you already have? is this an experiment or have you GOT to deliver? What genre is the shoot, does it have a lot of low light or fast motion?

The 5DmkII is a wonderful camera, but it does have a lot of limitations. Also, do you have many lenses already?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD