Manual Lens options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Manual Lens options

I come from a pro-video background, so I need some help with photo lens questions.

If I want manual aperture control, I need to use non-EF lenses.

My question is, what are my options for purchasing new glass. I am looking for primes in 24mm, 50, and 85mm.

I see that the Zeiss ZF primes work with the Canon, but have no aperture control.

Can I use the Zeiss ZE mounts with a Nikon adapter?

Does Nikon make new lenses with full manual control? When I looked I did not see too many lens choices.

I am a little confused about the older Nikon lens models, so I would rather purchase new.

Thanks.
Art Aldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Major Player

the most abundant and easiest to find are the older nikon ai and ais lens... you will want the pre- autofocus era from nikon.

I personally prefer Contax C/Y mount T* carl ziess lenses ( not the MM mount ) .... the 50 1.4, 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 are all fantastic wide open (which is really what we all want right? )

KEH camera ( keh.com ) is where I buy all my contax lenses.

also... please be aware that some wide ( under 24mm ) lenses might hit the 5d2 mirror and ruin your camera... do a google search to find out what lenses are safe!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Aldrich View Post

My question is, what are my options for purchasing new glass. I am looking for primes in 24mm, 50, and 85mm.

I see that the Zeiss ZF primes work with the Canon, but have no aperture control.

Can I use the Zeiss ZE mounts with a Nikon adapter?
You have that backward. ZF is Nikon with aperture control ring. ZE is Canon and does not have an aperture ring.

Redrock sells Zeiss ZF lenses modified for their follow focus system. Esay to mount to Canon with an adapter. There are few choices for faster than f2 at 24mm.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can also use Leica lenses if you get an adapter, as the back focus distance is about the same as Nikon. Not sure if anyone does an off the shelf adapter but someone like Les Bosher could whip one up for sure. Leica R lenses are just gorgeous.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD