How does the video quality compare to a Sony EX1/EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Trustee

How does the video quality compare to a Sony EX1/EX3?

If you were making a feature film, could you do it with with the 5Dm2? How would the final result compare quality-wise to video shot with say the EX1 or EX3, since they are both 1080p?

How would the editing workflow differ?

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, making a movie on a 5DII should be quite possible. The short takes done on a movie set fit into the 12-minute time limit easily. I think the hard part will be the lack of exposure lock from one take to another. I'm sure a workaround will happen like an LED lens hood that hits the camera with a fixed amount of light to set the exposure lock each take. It may also be easy to roll several short takes each 12 minutes and just edit out the slack between takes. It will take more care to keep exposure parameters constant but it can certainly be done. My guess is that it is still easier than using film.

Comparing the Canon to a dedicated video camera is difficult. It is missing many useful features but it has an obvious image quality improvement that many will find invaluable. I think the differences will be most evident at the shoot and editing will be fairly similar. The video format of 1080p has almost nothing to do with the image quality of the 5DII but rather the full-frame imaging chip and 35mm depth of field. I am also guessing that the exposure latitude is probably a bit higher on the larger chip. Also, the EX cameras have good low-light sensitivity but the Canon is absolutely amazing in low light with a fast lens. This will allow less lighting power to be used and more available light in the scene. This will make low-budget lighting much easier and look more natural. Larger budget shoots can also take advantage of natural light and make the image look phenomenal with a few lights added by a good director of photography.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for your response Marcus. Does the low light ability result in boosting the ISO? If so, would you also get more grain/noise?
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

It can be compared as in photography terms the 35mm film was journalistic and 645 medium format was acceptable for quality prints. The bigger the better but the feature set could be the killer here. If I was and I am to take video where it's never been before I'd choose 5D if I'm thinking inside the box I'll shoot with pont and shoot digicam that the EX1 is in imager terms, rent some intimidating lights and ruin the mood of the verite set. But that goes for me.
It's something like the ADR versus live emotions for me.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Trustee

I understand your point regarding stealthiness and the like, but in terms of picture quality, are we still comparing 35 to 645 or is the PQ of the 5D very close to the EX1?
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
I think the hard part will be the lack of exposure lock from one take to another.
I'm finding that exposure preview combined with shutter or aperture priority modes let you dial in the look you want and lock it before recording. As soon as you record it appears to change some of the settings but does so in a way that respects your overall exposure appearance. The lock goes away when you stop recording but if you dial in the same settings and lock before recording I expect you'll be able to get fairly consistent take-to-take results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD