Christmas Walk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 29th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Christmas Walk

Christmas walk with the family in 'New England Wood' Cuckfield, with a very low sun shining through the trees.

Christmas Walk - on Vimeo

Problems encountered whilst filming with the Canon 24-105L lens was trying to remember to keep the aperture open to my desired f5.6 using hand over the lens and AE lock, whilst running through the muddy wood to set up the next shot. Family didn't appreciate the fact I needed to preform a few work arounds with the camera on the fly and thus so the lens resorted to f16 with high ISO here and there.

I shot with the standard profile knowing I was going to adjust the Luma clippings in 'Apple Color', it's lovely to see the detail come back with 'Color'.

It's nice to film so close to the sun and not get vertical ccd lines. Near the end when my dog is in the water and my son is spinning round the tree, the flare/ colour is lovely.

Got the drill out covered the lens in tape 'everywhere' and drilled a small indent about 8mm to the left of the locking pin hole and about 1mm deep. Swarf goes every where so covering the every part is a must. Now the lens locks with desired aperture and doesn't fall off. The 24-105L is from my old 5D and has been around the block a bit so I was not fussed about drilling it.

Best regards to all, James

Last edited by James Miller; December 29th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: URL
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Beautiful video. I too had been thinking of drilling my lens for safety so I can play with the Fstop.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM   #3
New Boot

Nice Shots

Good stuff there James,

I was actually out for a walk pretty close by- at Sheffield Park and filming the family with my new toy on 27th. I've also been using the lens disconnecting method and getting some reasonable results. If you drill a new locking hole does it make it any more awkward to mount the lens normally? i.e do you have to twist, do a lens release then twist a bit more?
Fergus Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Fergus, Did you film any of the steam trains over on the bluebell?

After drilling all you do is hold the lens release down as you fully twist on. It's something you get used to doing. But it did throw me for a second a first.

James
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
New Boot

Cool. I might do that on a couple of my most used video lenses. Didn't get to the steam engines this time, but have been before, as our little boy loves them! Will definitely make a good subject. Another good one I was filming the other day were the starlings flocking at sunset by brighton pier. I'll post a couple of clips on vimeo if i get the chance.
Fergus Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Major Player

There is some sort of flicker. Why? If there isn't any electricity source there. High shutter?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Mathieu, Can't see flicker? the only thing I can think of is Vimeo converting to 24fps. Try the download version?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Strangely, the flickered version is the download version. Merci.

Last edited by Mathieu Kassovitz; January 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Isn't anyone else noticing the flicker? Can it be from the computer monitor (not LCD . . . Samsung SyncMaster 997DF) ?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD