Cpature and convert via HDMI on playback? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Cpature and convert via HDMI on playback?

Might it be possible that when played back via HDMI on could capture and convert the video stream in real time, even in 50i or 60i or whatever the HDMI capture card like the ones from BlackMagic allows.

See the Blackmagic Design: Intensity

Would it allow real time colorspace conversion and 50i capture from the HDMI playback stream maybe?

What do you think?

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I was wondering the very same thing... but with either the AJA IOHD or the MX02. Anyone?
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Capture video via HDMI

The Canon crew have had their work cut out to prevent this. Firstly, the HDMI 'drive'' is scaled during record to match the resolution of the LCD viewfinder - for obvious reasons. So the output is not much more than VGA under those conditions. THEN .. when playing back, you have a scaled output to include the playback controls from the camera viewfinder screen again. This is capable of auto detecting a 1920x1080P monitor / TV and fitting it correctly to give a nice and detailed HD playboack - HOWEVER .. the HDMI config on the camera 'detects' the capabilities of the HDMI input to the screen .. and adjusts accordingly to get scaling if there true 1:1 capability isn't there at 30P. Sets that claim 24P should work .. although a friend's 'budget' Samsung 37" works perfectly whilst a later store demo on most of the Samsung screens produced a 'scaling' that shows reduced resolution.

Bottom line.. there's more to this than you would imagine .. and I know that the present firmware displays perfectly well via HDMI on my full 1920 monitor ... but only at about half of that resolution in recording video on the camera.

BTW ... there's a load of downloadable 'first tryout' video on my website ... Untitled Document

Two pages of menu ... help yourself .. I'm absolutely amazed by the capabilities with this camera. The AE lock allows you to get nice filmic results and the video looks just gorgeous ... even just messing about.
Tony Koorlander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD