How the heck does Canon expect us to edit 5D2 videos? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Contributor

Well, the original post asked about editing solutions. As far as I know the major editing software handles the files fine, and even Final Cut Express does OK with them. Most people transcode just as you do with AVCHD, but some have even edited the H.265 as is. I tried that and it is do-able but cumbersome. Actually, I dropped some clips into my wife's small MacBook Pro laptop and cut them with iMove, so you could work with about anything. The question seemed to imply that the files were a problem for a PC but I know people with Vegas editing 7D footage.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Alternatively (and for a price) You can convert the MOV file to Cineform and not goof the color up, but then the sound is lost.
I have just purchased a Canon 5d mark ii. I edit using Vegas 9 Pro and intend on purchasing Cineform to edit the HD files from the Canon 5D-m2 in Vegas.

But what do you mean by - "... but then the sound is lost" ??
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #18
Trustee

I can't speak with certainty because I've never had to handle 5Dmkii footage, but I think this issue has been solved with newer versions of Cineform. This thread was started a long time ago and things have changed alot in that time.

However, please check before you take my advice because I'd hate for you to spend $130 on Cineform only to find out it doesn't work and it's all my fault!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I know most of everyone uses Premier, Avid, Final Cut or even Vegas...I have all 4 and I must say I experienced issues editing with the .MOV files. However, I do also have Pinnacle 14 and I know it sounds crazy but that worked like a dream, it converted the files right in, no issues, no 3rd party programs were needed and it kept it un-compressed because it worked right off the .MOV file for editing. I really now like editing with Pinnacle better just due to the less amount of issues! :D

Good luck
Ryan McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Trustee

I think it's because programs such as Pinnacle are designed to be idiot-proof. They don't expect the users to select or use things like field order, pulldown removal, intermediate codecs, etc. The footage just has to get onto the timeline - it may not always do it in the most technically perfect way but it will do it.

It may also have to do with the slightly shorter product cycle of the consumer software which means it get's updated for new codecs faster.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #21
Major Player

Convert your footage to ProRes using Mpeg Streamclip Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD