quick clarification - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Further testing.

Ozon, your initial idea (using the ipod) seems to work better. I tried with my computer screen and photoshop, using a white document that i gradually darkened than letting it cover the whole of the lens, i could dial in exactly the brightness. Firstly this is much more accurate than using the lite panel as the dimmer is not very accurate and hard to repeatedly get the same value, secondly it also seems that you need to be quite in the "middle" of the stop, if not the camera snaps to the next stop above or below choosing a random ISO. So your idea of creating different shades of gray representing different shutter speeds seems like the way to go.
Jon Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
I have found that "auto lightning optimizer" helps on 50hz flicker a bit.
I've been shooting in 1/40th 1/50/th and 1/60th and nothing flickers.
But then on the other day every light flicked and I turned the lightning optimizer back to "strong".
T
I found turning the camera off and on again will stop the flicker, i think it may have to do with at what point it syncs up with the 50 Hz flicker, so if you happen to have turned the camera on at an unfavorable moment the flicker is more pronounced. I may be wrong, but at least it seamed to solve the problem.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM   #48
Regular Crew

double post
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Oskar View Post
I tried with my lite panel and can confirm that in both 1/40 and 1/50 i can record at all iso settings between 100 - 3200. 1/40 seems easier to do repeatedly. I tried with a 50mm and 18mm nikon MF lens. Although i can set 1/60 at any iso, once i hit record the camera goes down to 1/40 or 1/50 at some random ISO. (i am doing this in AV/still+movie/exposure simulation)

Ive never tried Av mode. Is there an advantage? Or samething as in M mode?

I also was able to get 1/60 and various ISO settings but wasnt able to lock it down.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #50
Major Player

exposure simulation will not give you the right shooting information for movies. no matter what mode you are in, the camera shoots the movies the same way, but only movie mode actually tells you close to what it will do when you press record. At least that's my understanding.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozan Biron View Post
Ive never tried Av mode. Is there an advantage? Or samething as in M mode?

I also was able to get 1/60 and various ISO settings but wasnt able to lock it down.
How To Use Video Mode on the Canon 5D MK II on Vimeo
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
But when using EF compatible lens there is no chance to get the shutter up from 1/20th when using 19mm wide lenses for example and it will not come down from 1/80th or 1/100 when using 85mm lens - this is pure logic of photography shutter speeds vs lens focal length but why on earth did they implement it to a movie mode?
Are you really sure that you are not dealing with the photo mode during the video recording?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD