Round up of 5D2 transcoding solutions for the PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Round up of 5D2 transcoding solutions for the PC

Was thinking about upgrading my Neo HDV to Neo HD. However, it is too expensive for many. Especially given that the current version doesn't yet fully support 5D2 files.

What other options are currently out there? Please share!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would love to know this too. Yesterday i spent hours ready different post on different sites and couldn't get any really solid to work. Using Adobe Media Encoder gave me a decent file but not as lossless as i would have liked
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Was thinking about upgrading my Neo HDV to Neo HD. However, it is too expensive for many. Especially given that the current version doesn't yet fully support 5D2 files.

What other options are currently out there? Please share!
I really like the Cineform stuff but I agree with you and feel that they (Cineform) could make a ton more money off of 5D users such as us if they dropped the price significantly. I would pay $100 for a 1080p codec and batch transcoding app (using coreAVC) with full control of colorspace conversions. $500 for that is far too much, IMO.

To answer your question, I don't know if there is a good answer yet. Cineform seems like one of the best options, but the price knocks it completely off the map for me. Maybe there's another intermediate codec out there with similar performance at a more affordable price. All the transcoding tools are already available for free and have very powerful batch processing abilities. We just need an affordable alternative to a cineform's 1080p codec.

Maybe cineform would consider allowing us to pay an upgrade fee to give cineform hdv users (via Vegas) a full 1080p directshow codec (so we could use something besides vegas for transcoding).
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
Maybe cineform would consider allowing us to pay an upgrade fee to give cineform hdv users (via Vegas) a full 1080p directshow codec (so we could use something besides vegas for transcoding).
Do you mean an upgrade to Cineform HD from the old Cineform VFW V2.8 codec that comes with Vegas or an upgrade from full version of Cineform HDV V3.x? Many people have asked Cineform about the former, but I don't think that makes good business sense for them. The latter costs $199.

NEO HD v3 (Windows Download)
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Do you mean an upgrade to Cineform HD from the old Cineform VFW V2.8 codec that comes with Vegas or an upgrade from full version of Cineform HDV V3.x? Many people have asked Cineform about the former, but I don't think that makes good business sense for them. The latter costs $199.

NEO HD v3 (Windows Download)
actually I had forgotten about Neo Scene. That might do the trick for $129. I need to install the trial and see for myself.

EDIT Neo scene is a no-go. I thought it would support all avc files but I guess it's just avchd stuff from camcorders. How frustrating...
EDIT 2 It may do what I need after all - you can't use the Neo Scene interface to perform the transcoding, but the codec is in the system and available to other apps. now it's down to figuring out how to get it to work inside of something like mediacoder for the batch transcoding needs that I have.

Last edited by Keith Paisley; January 24th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I already have Neo HDV for my HDV camcorders.. I will not upgrade to Neo HD for the asking price. I'll find another alternative.

Plus, Neo HD doesn't FULLY support 5D2 files right now anyways.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD