PS3 and 5D2 files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Tourist

PS3 and 5D2 files

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was successful in rewrapping 5D mark ii HD video to mp4 format so that PS3 can play it. I tried method mentioned http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/995301-post5.html and it worked for low resolution video (VGA variety), but my HD video came up as "unsupported" format.

i'd appreciate any help.. thank you.
Sang Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang Kim View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was successful in rewrapping 5D mark ii HD video to mp4 format so that PS3 can play it. I tried method mentioned http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/995301-post5.html and it worked for low resolution video (VGA variety), but my HD video came up as "unsupported" format.

i'd appreciate any help.. thank you.
I haven't had much luck with this either. I tried some 1080 WMV files on my Xbox 360 and they looked great!
Dave Contreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just worked with some footage yesterday and it played great on the playstation....

But I didn't use MP4, I used mpeg 2....

I just took the 5DMKII footage, opened it up in Quicktime and exported it back out using
the same parameters as the original file... this color fixed the file...
Then I just brought it into Premiere with Cineform and exported it back out as mpeg 2...

Looks great.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

and for those who don't have cineform...
What shall we do?

I am also working on the best solution to go from
the 5d, FCP, and PS3
If I find a solution let I'll let you know.
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Tourist

Looks like there's no good option other than using Quicktime pro.
I'd hate to shell out $30 to do such a small task, but i guess that's the only quick and easy way..
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you have Final Cut Pro then you get quicktime pro for free
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Im not a clip playing guy, but I watch all my movies from my 5D2 and HV20 on the PS3. Just on the 5D2 clips I usually have to render to the free cineform in vegas first to get real time previews.

Render out to mainconcept mp4 1920 x 1080 30P and the PS3 plays them the best.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Tourist

it's interesting. I am pretty sure I've read somewhere someone was able to use his Quicktime Pro to "rewrap", i.e. no re-encoding, quicktime files to regular mp4 files and have it play on ps3.

I just tried it using my friend's Quicktime Pro and it doesn't work. PS3 still says it's unsupported format. What's going on.. Does anyone have experience in this? I'd like to be able to play raw files without length re-encoding process. Any help appreciated.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My main camera is a Sony HVR-V1U
I can export from FCP and rewrap in quicktime pro to a mp4 and it works like a champ

Using the 5D Mark II not so much.
I went through the identical steps several times and to no luck (corrupt file as mentioned above)
I tried changing around the settings and after 5 different attempts...still no luck.
If anyone could solve this mystery I would be delighted. (Don't really want to go buy an Apple TV to view my files on the big TV!
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My first post here!
You'd think that I was the Only "Tom Perrone" around but there is another one here - what do you do in such a case - ANYWAY

There is a very good explanation and workflow that you might get some info from here:

Eugenia’s Rants and Thoughts Blog Archive From DV/HDV/AVCHD to PS3/Xbox360/AppleTV
Tomaso Perrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD