Sort of manual control with manual/disconnected lenses at least in the dark! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Sort of manual control with manual/disconnected lenses at least in the dark!

So far I am able to get any "non connected" lens to 1/50th PAL default shutter with ISO @ 1600 or 1260 or something close to it even to 100 if needed. Would that be of any significance?

The method goes just like this, assuming you do have manual or disconnected lens: Holding down the shutter button half way and pointing the camera to a brightest spot of the scene or covering the lens with my hand and a cellphone showing a bright image, when holding the shutter button down half way I see if and when the shutter shows 1/50th and ISO is 3200 by then usually given the amount of light I let in. If the internal metering system shows me 1/50th shutter (PAL) I lock the aperture and release my finger from the half pressed shutter. From here I can dial down the ISO to 100 if desired and if I started with AE compensation on the positive side - the shutter remains at 50th.
It works at least in the dark as I haven't tried this in bright sunlight etc. ND filters are still on on their way.

We have potentially full manual control here! Please test it yourself and prove me wrong.

And this (http://www.autonomicum.com/forums_up/MVI_0143.MOV) is what happens if you try to zoom-in-out while lens are not locked :D... (the LCD runs @ 60hz and flickers because I locked the shutter to 50)
I peeked that 60W table lamp on the right to get in just enough light to get the 1/50th shutter and locked it at ISO 3200 and dialed it down to something like 400 or 800 for this particular scene. This was with a variable aperture Tokina 19-34mm lens. I can do this with all my lenses so far as long as they are not electronically connected.

I must admit that I was not able to get the same constant results with 1/60th shutter as higher ISOs than 100 were not available on that shutter speed in my informal tests.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; January 28th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
So far I am able to get any "non connected" lens to 1/50th PAL default shutter with ISO @ 1600 or 1260 or something close to it even to 100 if needed. Would that be of any significance?

The method goes just like this, assuming you do have manual or disconnected lens: Holding down the shutter button half way and pointing the camera to a brightest spot of the scene or covering the lens with my hand and a cellphone showing a bright image, when holding the shutter button down half way I see if and when the shutter shows 1/50th and ISO is 3200 by then usually given the amount of light I let in. If the internal metering system shows me 1/50th shutter (PAL) I lock the aperture and release my finger from the half pressed shutter. From here I can dial down the ISO to 100 if desired and if I started with AE compensation on the positive side - the shutter remains at 50th.
It works at least in the dark as I haven't tried this in bright sunlight etc. ND filters are still on on their way.

We have potentially full manual control here! Please test it yourself and prove me wrong.

And this (http://www.autonomicum.com/forums_up/MVI_0143.mov) is what happens if you try to zoom-in-out while lens are not locked :D... (the LCD runs @ 60hz and flickers because I locked the shutter to 50)
I peeked that 60W table lamp on the right to get in just enough light to get the 1/50th shutter and locked it at ISO 3200 and dialed it down to something like 400 or 800 for this particular scene. This was with a variable aperture Tokina 19-34mm lens. I can do this with all my lenses so far as long as they are not electronically connected.

I must admit that I was not able to get the same constant results with 1/60th shutter as high ISO were not available on that shutter speed in my informal tests.

Cheers,
T
I think you are correct. This has been discussed in several other threads. One thing though, you don't have to keep holding the shutter button down. The metering will continue a while after you just tap it. If you find out it times out too quickly, you can change the metering time-out in the settings menu to 30 minutes.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, 1/40 and 1/50 (displayed) are the same thing (roughly 1/45.)

~ The Murder of Dirk Snowglobe - Article: 5D Mark II Shutter Exposed! ~

If we can get all ISOs at 1/60 or 1/80 (which are the same at 1/80), I'll be thrilled!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD