M5D MKII VS HV30 With Redrock DOF Adaper? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

M5D MKII VS HV30 With Redrock DOF Adaper?

Hi, really looking forward to make some decent footage maybe some indie in low budget . What would you recomend me M5D MKII or HV30 With Redrock Micro. I love Wide angles and maybe a few shots in low light also my output will be 720p .
Many Thanks
Andy
Andy Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Corleone View Post
Hi, really looking forward to make some decent footage maybe some indie in low budget . What would you recomend me M5D MKII or HV30 With Redrock Micro. I love Wide angles and maybe a few shots in low light also my output will be 720p .
Many Thanks
Andy
Andy - If low light performance is important, I don't think anything comes close to the 5d Mark II.

Also, I think I've read that an HV40 was recently announced. Not sure about the specs on that one, but might be worth looking into.
Rich Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Corleone View Post
Many Thanks
Andy
The 5D2 sensor is 7 times bigger than the HV30. Think about that.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
The 5D2 sensor is 7 times bigger than the HV30. Think about that.
And I believe that it's 7 times bigger in a single dimension. That makes the area about 50 times bigger(!)
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Well the imaging plane size is the same in both setups and you could potentially be using the same lenses. personally I would say HV30 + M2 setup is just pretty much unusable due to poor light sensitivity. Youd effectively be at < iso50 although the HV30's gain might help that but then you sacrifice color quality and dynamic range and add noise. I know lots of people who use the M2 with HVX200's (twice as sensitive as an HV20 so probably also HV30) and it is pretty usable as long as you have at least a 2kw of tungsten light for even the smallest room and much more for lighting larger spaces or no lights if you are shooting entirely outdoors it might be fine (but who does that? and in the winter?). Also, such low light sensitivity lends itself to always having to use hard light to get the punch you need for reasonable exposure. Thats not a compromise I like to make since soft sources can be so beautiful. My big pet peeve is also the optical look of lens adapters which never looks quite right. You can put the same lens on a 5dmk2 and an M2 but on the M2 your lens will almost always look like a $20 lens (internal reflections, chromatic abberrations, poor edge focus, etc) even if it is a $1000 lens.

I sold my HV20 on ebay last week after buying a 5DMk2 a few weeks ago and have no regrets but I havent quite done serious shooting with it yet so I havent yet been forced to completely deal with the hurdles of editing h264 and getting non-horrible audio and handholding/focusing a camera that ergonomically sucks for handheld video shooting. These are things I feel I have solutions to (transcode or use fcp, buy field mixer, buy handheld rig) but it can take a bit of work. plus if you have to have 24p then the 5dmk2 will come up short.

You asked your question in a 5d mark ii forum so what do you expect we are going to say? :P
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

*edit* sorry, accidental repost
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Not contest, the 5D. Why would you want to capture a second generation image using an adapter?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD