Editing with "proxies"? How? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Editing with "proxies"? How?

I'm not a Jedi video guy, so I'm curious if somebody can help me with this question:

Obviously the 1080p files from the 5DM2 are large and a little cumbersome in FCP timelines. I've seen demos (of RED One files) where the editors work with what they call "proxies" of the full-res files in order to get the timeline cut together quickly, then the final renders are done with the full-res files.

I know I should transcode these files to ProRes for editing. Is there a parallel process that can generate these proxies? Or is there something in FCP that can do this transparently?

Thanks, y'all!
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
New Boot

Steve,

You can use any transcoder that allows batch processing like MPEG StreamClip or Compressor or Media Manager in FCP.

Basically, you take all your clips right from the camera and create an exact duplicate set but at a much lower resolution. You edit with this set then when you're ready to go to Color for grading or just to create your final edit, you use Reconnect Media in FCP to connect the FCP clips back to the original clips.

You have to keep all file names, timecode, etc. exactly the same for this to work. Media Manager offers several "Offline RT..." modes that will do the job.

Import the clips into FCP, select all of them and either right-click (option-click) or use the file menu to select Media Manager. Set your options and let it go to work. If you choose the option to open another project with the new copies you'll do your edit in the new project and Reconnect all the clips when you're ready.

You can also transcode the your D5 footage into EXCAM EX files and FCP will respond very quickly. Here's a link that explains how to do this - very easy and takes no longer than creating proxies. No need to Reconnect when you're done.

ProVideo Coalition.com: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller

Give both methods a try on a few clips and see which one works best for you.

-a-
Adriel Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you! That's great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD