Control your DOF on the MKII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Control your DOF on the MKII

As posted, Canon just put out two new tilt and shift lenses....

for those folks that like maximum DOF control, here is a demonstration of a standard
lens versus a tilt and shift...

http://www.aobild.se/externalcontent...tar/tsdemo.htm

And how it works...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ft-lenses2.htm
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

These are great articles.

And it is interesting that the MKII has made it possible to get this kind of control in video, pretty much unheard of unless you really jury rigged something.

I personally always loved to work with view cameras ever since the early 70's, but I never considered it for film / video.

The more tools you have the better you can tell your story, and that is what it is all about.

I think the MKII is the start of a revolution.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tilt shift is pretty specialized for video. About the only place I notice it is in Heroes, when one of the characters goes into a trance.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I hope to get a nice tilt/shift for my 5D2 some day, there are so many possibilities for unique images.

It would be funny if someone used it to get *deep* DOF. ("I went to 35mm and all I got was deep DOF and this lousy T-shirt")
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
I hope to get a nice tilt/shift for my 5D2 some day, there are so many possibilities for unique images.

It would be funny if someone used it to get *deep* DOF. ("I went to 35mm and all I got was deep DOF and this lousy T-shirt")
The irony of course is back in the day they used to go to extraordinary lengths to get deep focus (if my memory serves me right, they even designed new lenses just for that purpose, some of which were used in Citizen Kane).
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hitchcock once wanted a shot with an extreme perspective of a gun barrel in the foreground and the shooter in the background, and he wanted everything in focus. The solution? Lots of lights, a small aperture - and a GIANT model of a gun!
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #7
New Boot

You want extreme depth of field, you want one of these :)

Frazier lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'ts had a messy history...
Australian invention dazzles Hollywood - Jim Frazier
The cameraman and the piranhas - smh.com.au

And here's the panavision page
http://www.panavision.com/product_de...49,c50,c87,c90

Last edited by Darren Jew; February 20th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add the panavision link
Darren Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Hitchcock once wanted a shot with an extreme perspective of a gun barrel in the foreground and the shooter in the background, and he wanted everything in focus. The solution? Lots of lights, a small aperture - and a GIANT model of a gun!
They also did crazy stuff like lighting the foreground keeping the background dark, shooting it, then rewinding the film, lighting the background keeping the foreground dark, and then re-exposing the same film again. CLASSIC ingenuity!
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
They also did crazy stuff like lighting the foreground keeping the background dark, shooting it, then rewinding the film, lighting the background keeping the foreground dark, and then re-exposing the same film again. CLASSIC ingenuity!
You REALLY need a lens that doesn't breathe (and GREAT stabilization) to pull that off!

This is similar, in some ways, to Ansel Adams bracketing his photos and intermixing the results to simulate extreme dynamic range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD