.thm sidecar files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

.thm sidecar files

Has anybody noticed that when copying files from the CF card via the USB-attached-camera, all that are visible are .mov files. But when taking the CFcard out of the camera and using a separate CF card reader, a .thm file is also visible for each .mov file.

Does anybody know:

1) What is stored in the .thm file and is it worth keeping. What applications can read the .thm data?
2) Why is the .thm file not visible when using the camera as the card reader?

I use Windows, not Mac, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks

Last edited by Thane Brooker; February 19th, 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Thane Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane Brooker View Post
1) What is stored in the .thm file
Thumbnail of the first frame in the clip.

Quote:
is it worth keeping.
No.

Quote:
2) Why is the .thm file not visible when using the camera as the card reader?
Dunno.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I also own a D30 and it stores additional EXIF data in the .THM as well as the thumbnail. Just double-checking I wasn't going to lose anything of value before I hit delete.
Thane Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks. I also own a D30 and it stores additional EXIF data in the .THM as well as the thumbnail. Just double-checking I wasn't going to lose anything of value before I hit delete.
Not sure but I think ZoomBrowser views the .thm so you can see the first image of the clip. My ZoomBrowser isn't working for video since I'm using CoreAVC or I would check this.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #5
New Boot

I know that if you rename the .THM file to .JPG you can view it and it will display the image as a viewable thumbnail.

If I could only get the .THM to be viewed as a thumbnailw in Windows Vista. Anyone know a registry tweak to view .THM as viewable thumbnails like jpegs?
Mike Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Toy View Post
I know that if you rename the .THM file to .JPG you can view it and it will display the image as a viewable thumbnail.

If I could only get the .THM to be viewed as a thumbnailw in Windows Vista. Anyone know a registry tweak to view .THM as viewable thumbnails like jpegs?
No, but there a lot of batch renaming facilities. You might even be able to make it run the moment you insert the card.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD