Is this type of editing possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this type of editing possible?

So we have the amazing 1920p video of the 5d II with tons of resolution.

Is there anyway possible of using less resolution (720.. or even standard) and have almost a virtual camera within the 1920p?

Basically you would have the 1920p running and could throw scripts or controls for a virtual camera to kind of zoom and pan within the 1920 resolution?

Obviously i'm new to video :P and if this is totally impossible I hope some people get atleast a good laugh out of it. But if it's possible what software would I use?

Thanks
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's absolutely possible. Most any NLE (Vegas, Premiere, FCP...) can resize and pan video.

You can also do this with stills. Think of the range within a 21MP image. Now imagine that with a timelapse series of stills. You can pan and zoom at will with a moving image.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chung View Post
So we have the amazing 1920p video of the 5d II with tons of resolution.

Is there anyway possible of using less resolution (720.. or even standard) and have almost a virtual camera within the 1920p?
Remember it's 1080p, not 1920p.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Lol yes 1080p :)

Sorry, still dead tired from a week of shooting stills at fashion week.
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chung View Post
Lol yes 1080p :)
It's 1920p in portrait mode. :)

Quote:
Sorry, still dead tired from a week of shooting stills at fashion week.
How'd that go, BTW?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Most folks would use the 1080 footage on a 720 timeline... that way you can pan and zoom and such...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Most folks would use the 1080 footage on a 720 timeline... that way you can pan and zoom and such...
Unless you want the final footage on 35mm film and then you are obligated to keep every pixel you can.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So i ended up buying the 561B Monopod for the task and I love the thing. I use the base as my normal still monopod now too. The only thing is it does not have a way to lock the tilting (of the monopod not the head). So in the end I think a full setup with legs is probably the best bet.

I met quite a few 5d II owners that were testing the video out during the fw. One set it specifically for backstage with the 16-35 wide angle lens and his videos turned out pretty great.

I tried a few videos but the auto exposure overexposed the models a good bit. It's probably my fault not the cameras but I did try shooting both with full auto on aperture and the disengage trick. I do think with a good bit of practice I could easily track the models up and down the runway with a large aperture running.

I'm currently editing my photos for the pubs i'm submitting to but once I finish with that I will do the video and post it up here. I'm actually surprised at how the camera felt for video operation in a hustle and bustle place like FW. I definitely will be using the video for any backstage work in the future as long as I have crew along with me to get the stills.

thanks for the help guys.
William Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD