5D2 and Uploading to Vimeo etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

5D2 and Uploading to Vimeo etc.

My workflow:

1) Shoot the video on the 5D mk II and download the clips to the computer's hard drive.
2) Convert the clips to AVI files using Cineform's Neo Scene.
3) Import the AVI files into a 1920x1080, Square Pixel, 30FPS project in Premier Pro CS3.
4) Edit the footage (saving frequently, because Premier crashes regularly!).
5) Export the movie using DebugMode Frameserver to TMPGEncXPress as a standard MPEG2 file for uploading to Vimeo and/or ExposureRoom.

My question:

When I play back the file on my computer using Windows Media Player, everything looks great. If I upoad it to Vimeo or ExposureRoom, the pixel aspect ratio is wrong, and the image is pinched (people look taller and slimmer). TMPGEncXPress won't allow me to change the PAR of an MPEG2 file, so how should I output the video for Vimeo or ExposureRoom so that the PAR is correct?

I've read the "Pixel Aspect Ratios" tutorial on ExposureRoom, and when I try to export the video via Adobe Media Encoder using the exact same settings as shown in the Tutorial, AME crashes! That's why I have to go the TMPGEncXPress route.

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

is there a reason you're outputting the video to MPEG2? When I encode for web consumption, I typically use H.264 (Mainconcept AVC should be built into PP CS3). You can probably knock the output resolution down to 1280x720P since I'm not aware of any streaming services that stream 1080p yet. Make sure your PAR is set for 1.0 and you should be good to go.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I use MPEG2 because when outputting the video via Adobe Media Encoder (H.264, Mainconcept, 1920x1080, Square Pixels, Baseline Profile, Level: 5.1, VBR 2-pass, Target bitrate:4, Max Bitrate:5) , using the exact settings shown in the ExposureRoom tutorial, AME crashes.

If I select 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080, wouldn't I have to change the PAR from square pixels to..?

Julian
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

no, both 1080p and 720p are the same (square) PAR. 1920/1080 = 1280/720 = 1.7777....
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, thanks, Keith. I'll try it again and see what I can do. I got a bit frustrated when Adobe Media Encoder kept crashing during the second pass (usually during the last 50% of pass #2).

Julian
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh, one more thing... when I used AME, H.264 and MainConcept, it wanted to save the file as a ".3GP" file! I couldn't find a way to get it to save it in a recognizable format. Any ideas?

Julian
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
New Boot

output

Have been using output parameters in PProCS4 and AME from this post:

Darts at Lark Tavern - Albany, NY - 08, Dec on Vimeo

pasting in his settings below.

Bob

Export Settings: Canon 5DMII Medium Res (H264)
(matching Vimeo and XBox 360 recommended format, 1280x720)
* Format: H.264
Filters:
Multiplexer:
* Basic Settings:
- Multiplexing: MP4,
- Stream Compatibility: iPod (IMPORTANT for Xbox 360 compatibility)
Video:
* Basic Video Settings:
- Codec: MainConcept H.264 Video,
- TV Standard: NTSC (I'm in the US)
- Frame Width [pixels]: 1280,
- Frame Height [pixels]: 720,
- Frame Rate [fps]: 30,
- Field Order: None (Progressive),
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels,
- Profile: High,
- Level: 3.1
* Bitrate Settings:
- Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 2 Pass (slower, but recommended)
- Target Bitrate [Mbps]: 6 (original 5DMII is at 38.6, BluRay 40, HD DVD around 36)
- Maximum Bitrate [Mbps]: 10
* Advanced Settings:
- Set Key Frame Distance: No
Audio:
* Audio Format Settings:
- Audio Format: AAC
* Basic Audio Settings:
- Codec: AAC,
- Output Channels: Stereo,
- Frequency: 44.1 kHz,
- Audio Quality: High
* Bitrate Settings:
- Bitrate [kbps]: 224 (your mileage may vary)
* Advanced Settings:
- Precedence: Frequency (not sure about this one)
Bob Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Bob,

Very cool. Thanks for posting that. I'll try those settings and if they work for me, I'll save it as a preset.

Julian
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

I tried the settings Bob listed, above, and Adobe Media Encoder crashed 54% through pass 2, with the following errror:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program E:\Progra...

R6025
-pure virtual function call"

That's really annoying.

Julian
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
New Boot

output

Sorry to hear that Julian. For reference purposes, I have Intel Core2Duo 3.0GHz 4gbRAM Widows XP SP3.

Here is a link to another output workflow that works for me.

Fóruns - Vídeo - Premiere CS4: H.264 Export, high quality | iStockphoto.com

I find that I have to reset the bitrate after AME opens (click on settings, it resets to 1000kbs). I find 6000 to be a good compromise between size and quality.

Bob
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks again, Bob,

I'll try that tonight. I spent some time Googling the "R6025 -pure virtual function call" error, and it may possibly be memory related, IE. A bad RAM module. I've done many RAM tests in the past to make sure there are no problems, but the various articles all seem to point towards bad RAM, saying that it gets put under great stress when doing video rendering. I may yank out 2 GB of RAM and try running it again on my weekend, see if it still crashes. In the meantime, I'll also post to the Adobe Forums and see if there are any suggestions there.

Julian
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Solved!

Bob,

I found some clues that when you get the "R6025 -pure virtual function call" error, your C++ libraries may be corrupt. I found a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on it here. I downloaded the VCREDIST_x86 package, installed it, and I can now export videos through AME per the settings you listed!

I uploaded my first 5D mk II video to both Vimeo and ExposureRoom and they are the correct PAR!

Thanks again for your help.

Julian
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #13
New Boot

great

Glad I could help. Nice use of selective focus in the Chinatown video on Vimeo.

Bob
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks... it was tough, we got there just before midday so the sun was harsh. I had an ND filter on all the lenses to allow me to open up the aperture a bit. Most of the time I let the camera do everything else, as can be seen by the differing shutter speeds throughout (urgh! Canon!!). It's a bit cliche what with the music and all, but like I said, I just wanted to get something out of the camera! Call it a proof of concept! :-)

Julian
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #15
New Boot

I dont understand all the effort here. The mov files out the camera is supported directly by Vimeo. Unless you want to edit the files the can be downloaded directly from the flash card.
Michael Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD