Successful Vegas Pro Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Successful Vegas Pro Workflow

I recently rented a 5DMII and shot some footage, unknown to me was the horror awaiting me in the editing room. First I loaded the raw footage into Vegas Pro 8c which was not editable, I then tried CineForm Neo Scene which seemed to work like a dream at first however conversion took a few hours and chewed up 86Gb. I edited my project using CineForm and all was well until I tried my first render, it failed miserably, I was unable to get a out a full render after two days of Vegas crashing hell, finally I decided to break my render up into pieces and stitch them together however there was small gaps between the parts that Vegas could not eliminate, so once again I failed.

My final solution before utterly giving up was to use Grass Valley Pro Coder 3, using Pro Coder I converted my 5DMII footage to HDV 25P which Vegas handles very well and mixes perfectly with my XHA1. This didn't take too long and only used 7Gb of space compared to CineForm's 86Gb!! CineForm is a lossless codec, for my work HDV is all I need. Vegas rendering is stable without any crashes now. Pro Coder will set your bank balance back quite a bit however is worth the money, my Intel Quad Core Q6600, 8Gb DDR800, 2TB Raid 0, Geforce 9800GT was unable to cope with CineForm.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
my Intel Quad Core Q6600, 8Gb DDR800, 2TB Raid 0, Geforce 9800GT was unable to cope with CineForm.
Strange. My computer is spec'd much below yours and runs the 5D->Cineform->Vegas 8 workflow perfectly. No crashing. Mine actually will edit the raw 5D files in Vegas, but only with a display of about 4-8fps.

Maybe it's a hardware issue with your computer?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD