Redrock Follow Focus and Shoulder mount. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock Follow Focus and Shoulder mount.

I would like to purchase the following gear:
Redrock Follow Focus
Redrock Shoulder Mount

I am trying to figure out all the pieces I need to get these products to work with my Canon 5D. I am unsure if I can mount this camera directly to the shoulder mount and still get the follow focus to work? I am thinking since the camera is very low I will need some sort of riser, so does this mean I will need to purchase a Redrock base plate and mount that to the shoulder mount?

Also, what length of rods should I get for the shoulder mount and or baseplate that would be optimal for my 5D.

Thank you.
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Major Player

I would just call or email this question to Red Rock.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Major Player

What about one of Redrock's DSLR kits:

DSLR Field Cinema Bundle
Erik Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Should Mount and Follow Focus.

I spoke with a woman yesterday from Red Rock and she directed me to the Red Rock message boards. She told me she wasn't sure about the 5D. I haven't found anything that resembles the set up I would like. The DSLR bundle is a little out of my budget and so I am trying to put this together myself.

I have seen that Dan Chung uses the shoulder mount and I think he mounts the 5D right on top. Not quite sure. I am just concerned that the follow focus won't line up properly if I try to do this.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #5
New Boot

i got it

I already had a list for that... For the Red Rock shoulder mount you need:

12" 15mm Iris rods - professional grade <http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/n.1/it.A/id.398/.f>
M2 Shim Kit <http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/n.1/it.A/id.92/.f>
microSupport baseplate, 15mm high riser <http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/n.1/it.A/id.414/.f>

optional:

microMatteBox Standard Bundle <http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/n.1/it.A/id.552/.f>
microFollowFocus Indie Bundle <http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/n.1/it.A/id.405/.f>
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Pete,
So I do need a baseplate? I can't just mount the follow focus to the rails on the shoulder mount?

If I go with a baseplate. It needs to be the high riser version not the low riser? This will allow me to align the follow focus?

Thanks for your help.
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7
New Boot

redrock

I talked to a guy at Redrock and this is the setup they gave me. They told me the 5d had to be raised. I don't have the Redrock yet, so I can't confirm it.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carr View Post
Pete,
So I do need a baseplate? I can't just mount the follow focus to the rails on the shoulder mount?

If I go with a baseplate. It needs to be the high riser version not the low riser? This will allow me to align the follow focus?
It all works together with what I believe is the "high" riser. You can see my rig with RR gear here:
Index of /canon5d2
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Photos of rig

Thanks Matthew. How do you like the setup?
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Jon,

I do indeed have the Red Rock rig and personally mount the camera straight to the included baseplate. I don't however have my Red Rock follow focus just yet. I am planning to use a Beachtek instead of a riser to get the height I need in future, coupled with a height adjustable bars mount. I'm currently playing with this one http://www.genustech.tv/userfiles/im...textendedl.jpg The beauty of this setup is that it extends rapidly for long lenses without having to reposition the camera itself or fit different longer bars.

I've also just bought the new Genus Wide angle Mattebox which seems perfect for the 5dmkII due to its low profile and light weight. I'll try and post more about it later. Anyone going to NAB should check it out along with the Red Rock Mattebox.

I hope to get some more Red Rock parts to experiment with too. I may even try some Zacuto gear.

Sorry its not a finished solution yet, but I'm working on it.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carr View Post
Thanks Matthew. How do you like the setup?
I like it a lot, but I've only shot with it a SMALL handful of times.
Be aware, that you loose the camera's small footprint (and anonymity) and you increase it's weight by a LOT if going with my RR rig setup. Their stuff is awesome and very functional, but it's not light.
In some ways, that's a good thing. A light camera is a bouncy camera (in many cases). I personally like the heft of this rig.
To be honest, the thing that weighs the most is the Mattebox. While I don't own the carbon fiber rods, mine are just fine.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Trustee

Wow the Genus stuff looks pretty good. Whaz the price range? Some kinda combo with the redrock shoulder mount + Genus matte box + Redrock follow focus would be cool
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Sean,

I'm not sure exactly how much the whole rig is but prices in asia seem to be about the same as on the Zacuto website. Here's a pic of the rig, I still need to add shoulder support parts and there needs to be some kind of way to move the camera forward for shorter lenses but I think it's all solvable. I'll post more tomorrow.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Redrock Follow Focus and Shoulder mount.-gwmcon5d4s.jpg  
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Dan. That is one SEXY looking setup! A shoulder mount+follow focus would really make it pretty complete. It is really difficult to hold it steady handheld. Just waiting for good people like yourself to lead the way.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #15
New Boot

Redrock

Is Redrock Micro always painfully slow to ship? Perhaps others should be warned!

I placed an order over a week ago when their "lead time" was supposedly 5 days. Today, the website says 10 days. If I wait long enough, the lead time might grow to the point they never have to ship, eh?

I've sent two emails and a phone call with no reply, even though they charged my credit card the very first day (which they say is normal since they supposedly "make it when you order it".)

Fine. What I didn't expect was zero customer order support.

Clearly frustrating. And with other, less expensive follow focus products around (like INDISystem), I'm starting to wonder why I went this way.

Last edited by Bob Berg; March 13th, 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Bob Berg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD