my 5D night footage looks bad - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post

There is no niose reduction in movie mode so you will never get the super hight ISO.

Just my 2cent
Mike
I'm not sure what you mean by that. When you exposure lock the shutter speed at about 1/2 second, and the aperture is locked, you will see an actual ISO of 51200 (with shutter between 1/40 and 1/50). I measured it. It looked like crap of course.

Also, noise reduction is easy in post.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

WOW i have never seen ISO 51200, i have to go try this tonight... That is insanely high!

I guess i should have been more clear that you will not get super high usable ISO out of the camera. You will need to adjust in post. But as always the better out of the camera the better it looks in post! :)

wow 51200... sorry i just wrap my head around that number :)

thanks
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
WOW i have never seen ISO 51200, i have to go try this tonight... That is insanely high!

I guess i should have been more clear that you will not get super high usable ISO out of the camera. You will need to adjust in post. But as always the better out of the camera the better it looks in post! :)

wow 51200... sorry i just wrap my head around that number :)

thanks
Michael
Read a bunch of posts starting at around #31 for thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...ification.html
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Just from looking at the supplied picture....

1. The depth of field is high, which tells me you have the aperture stepped down.
2. The very limited amount of blur in the vehicles going across the frame tells me the shutter speed is quick, especially considering it is night time.

Which leads me to conclude

3. You have the ISO/gain cranked way up.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #20
New Boot

Night Footage

Just a thought, but have ypu set the meter lock function properly?
Larry Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Just from looking at the supplied picture....

1. The depth of field is high, which tells me you have the aperture stepped down.
2. The very limited amount of blur in the vehicles going across the frame tells me the shutter speed is quick, especially considering it is night time.

Which leads me to conclude

3. You have the ISO/gain cranked way up.
#3 implies intent on my part ;)

This problem was solved using faster lenses. The one I tested with was the 24-105L F4... just not fast enough to give a clean picture in low light. The f1.4 was enough... but barely, and had to expose down a bit to get under 2500iso, which to me is the point it starts to get ugly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD