EOS 5D Mk. II Upgrade Wishlist Poll -- taking suggestions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #16
New Boot

Chris, that would suffice.
Van Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #17
Major Player

I forgot to say, 24p or 25p in my top priority list.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #18
Major Player

- 24p/25p
- Full manual mode.
- 1/48, 1/50 and 1/60 shutter values.
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #19
Major Player

One thing that probably won't happen <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
... I'll vote for expanded recoding time (file size).
Microsoft Windows File Systems

For compatibility with various versions of Windows, the 5D2 uses the FAT 32 format for its CF cards. This limits the individual file size to 2^32-1 bytes or a byte less than 4GB. Windows Vista uses the NTFS file system and has a much larger maximum file size limit.

As an aside, the Mac OS X includes full support for Windows file systems (FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32) and read-only support for NTFS.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
This limits the individual file size to 2^32-1 bytes or a byte less than 4GB.
Yeah, it would be nice if the 5D2 were like other video cameras and started recording a new file when it reached the 4 GB limit.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #21
Major Player

My choices:

1) Let the Video Mode follow the "Mode Dial" on the camera:
"M" = Full Manual Mode (User sets ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed)
"Av" = Aperture Mode (User sets Aperture, Camera sets everything else)
"Tv" = Shutter Speed Mode (User sets Shutter Speed, Camera sets everything else)
Green Box = Full Auto Mode (Camera sets everything)

2) Manual control of Audo Gain

3) Zebras

4) More intelligent bracketing for stills where user selects the "+/-" range and the "increment", and the camera determines the number of shots required (EG. User sets +/- 1 stop, in 1 stop increments, yielding 3 shots total, or +/- 1 stop, in 1/3 stop increments, yielding 7 shots total). This is useful for HDR photography.

5) Create a new file after 4GB limit reached, with no loss in video or audio.

Julian

Last edited by Julian Frost; March 12th, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added #5
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
My choices:

1) Let the Video Mode follow the "Mode Dial" on the camera:
"M" = Full Manual Mode (User sets ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed)
"Av" = Aperture Mode (User sets Aperture, Camera sets everything else)
"Tv" = Shutter Speed Mode (User sets Shutter Speed, Camera sets everything else)
Green Box = Full Auto Mode (Camera sets everything)
This would make the most sense of all.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #23
Major Player

journalism

As a photographer I would suggest adding cross focus for all the sensors, adding more sensors, and increasing the autofocus speed and accuracy. I recognize this is a video forum but in my mind a primary purpose of the 5DII is photojournalism now combined with video journalism, so the camera should continue to impove in both fields (and autofocus is the 5DII's biggest shortcoming for photojournalism).

From the video perspective there needs to be some active control of aliasing; to me this is the only thing that might keep 5DII video off the 5 O'clock news.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #24
Trustee

In this order considering what is needed and possible:

Full manual control of aperture, shutter, and ISO (capability already exists within the camera)
Audio gain control
Headphone monitoring
Begin recording new file when reaching the 4G limit

Fantasy wishes would be zebra/histogram and different framerates
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #25
Major Player

1. HDMI liveview 1080i/720p w/o overlay
2. Pressing EXP Lock for 5 seconds saves ISO, Shutter and Aperture (if applicable) which creates a camera preset reminiscent of the XL2 preset implementation.
3. Flashing warning indicator when gain is used

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #26
Regular Crew

24p/25p/30p selectable
No time limit recording
Clean, not compressed HDMI out
Manual control

Now!!! ;-DD

Last edited by Xavier Plagaro; March 13th, 2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Add HDMI out
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #27
New Boot

1. PAL Mode: 25p full HD with usable videoout on the Composite Output

2. Zebra on the Video Out
3. Keep LCD active when connecting HDMI or Composite Out
4. Keep settings in videomode after stopping recording
5. Disable AGC on Audio when connecting external Mic/Line Input

But mostly and always 25p for us in PAL countries, because 30p is unusable for TV here !
But mostly and always 25p for us in PAL countries, because 30p is unusable for TV here !

I love my 5d as I love my Sony HD CAM and my LETUS

Matthias von Mutius
Matthias von Mutius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #28
Major Player

I can't stop thinking that Canon would consider full manual mode a feature that you have to pay a lot for. For them it may be like asking for full manual mode in a consumer camcorder. What do you have when you take the manual buttons out of a XHA1? A HV30. That leads me to think those features will be found in the next 1D along with, maybe, faster rolling shutter, 25p for PAL countries and less aliasing.

That would leave us with a limited "cheap" solution (5D) for people who can't pay more or doesn't mind 30p and automatic mode and a full manual 30p/25p professional solution about the price of a Scarlet s35mm. It would be still cheaper than a Scarlet because you don't have to buy extra modules and you have and FF35mm sensor. Also if you want more resolution, less compression, modular design and raw capabilities, you can buy the Scarlet.

It sounds like something a big company like Canon would do. I really hope I'm wrong.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #29
Trustee

Jose While I absolutely agree with you about canon wanting to charge more I think that your argument about a1 and hv-30 is inaccurate. The two biggest differences between those cameras are the glass and the sensor. The HV has a smaller version of both. I think that actually makes up the bulk of the cost difference. In fact it seems like it should be cheaper for a manual option because there is less electronics doing things. Maybe instead of updating or hacking the firmware we should just give the camera a virus so that we have to do the thinking and not it...
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #30
Major Player

In Pal countries the biggest drawback is the lack of 25p. Makes output to DVD etc difficult, and also leads to problems with 50hz light source flicker. So for me:

1) 25p
2) manual exposure control (shutter, aperture, iso)

24p would also be nice for North American users, but given you have 30p to work with, the camera is not so crippled for professional use (hence I can see why it's not at the top of most lists). Lack of 25p is the main reason I'm considering giving up on the 5D and switching to the GH1 when it arrives.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD