Batteries and ND filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Batteries and ND filters?

I am about to purchase a 5d and I am curious on how many and what brand of batteries and ND filters are in your gear bag? I will be shooting weddings with it primarily. I am leaning towards 2 Canon OEM LP-E6 batteries and 1 Tiffen (.6) ND filter but I am curious as to what you guys are using in the field.
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

The Canon batteries work great, I also got the 2 battery handle.

It makes it really easy to shoot portrait stills and it comes with a AA battery adapter, that you can preload with any kind of AA's.

This is great if you need to shoot for 8 hrs or so and don,t want to buy 4 canon Batts.

I use tiffen .6 and .9 as well as 1/2 graduated .6, nice for cutting down bright sky, circular polarizer is also good to have.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the quick response Olof. Shooting in video mode how long does one battery normally last? Also, if you has to start with one or two of those filters which one or two do grab the most often? I will be using a Canon 70-200L F2.8 lens and I would love for the to keep the aperture from jumping up too much.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

A Canon Batt seems to last about 2-3 hrs with intermittent shooting.

But if you roll full time it will be less than an hour.

So with the double handle you can pretty much shoot 4-6 hrs, rolling 10-15% of the time.

If you bring a bunch of AA's with adapter you can shoot indefinitely. Just remember this cam will overheat in hot weather if you roll all the time.

If it is cloudy I use the .6. Sunny the .9, snow/beach and sun Both. Just play around a little.

BTW I love the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM for video and stills.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD