5D MKII tilting viewfinder concept! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

5D MKII tilting viewfinder concept!

As I was playing around with my DIY-hoodloupe-on-roids an idea came across my mind:
If I take two 90 degree spy lenses and screw them together I can ofset the image from camera LCD and if I fix an eyepiece to the other end I'll get a tiling hoodloupe-kind-of gadget also known as tilting viewfinder.
This could also work with an angle finder (from mid format cam) on the other end of a spy lens but I don't know if the image will be big enough and not mirrored to one or to the other side.

I have one spy lens laying aound somewhere, must test the concept.

What do you think?
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Major Player

If you twist between the two 90 degree angles, the visible image will rotate, which I doubt is the effect you are looking for.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
New Boot

I stumbled upon this a while back and maybe this or something like it might be helpful... LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS
Simone Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone Maurice View Post
I stumbled upon this a while back and maybe this or something like it might be helpful... LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS
Thank you so much for linking that. I've been envisioning something EXACTLY like that ever since I got my 5D2. That is PERFECT!
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone Maurice View Post
I had also thought of using a mirror to achieve different angles. I actually had purchased one for for use with a 35mm adapter on the HVX200 LCD. Beware, most mirrors have ghosting which makes focusing a torturous guessing game. To remedy, I had purchased one from an optics shop without any ghosting. However, as you can imagine, it flips the image - which ultimately is too difficult to use.

Which leads me to the main question about the flipbac. I'd assume it flips your image which will prove to be awful for real time video framing. And are they using an optical grade mirror?
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
If you twist between the two 90 degree angles, the visible image will rotate, which I doubt is the effect you are looking for.
So we got to test with one fixed 90deg spy scope or plain First Surface Mirror and an angle finder like Mamiya N for 645 (as it sees bigger picture than ordinary 35mm ones.
Does anyone have any experience with a rotating angle finder? how does the image get through it and will it too rotate when you rotate the finder? I assume those are prism based rather than FSM.

Somehow it works in real movie camera setup which is using half mirror and a prism.

Steev, sure any mirror mentioned must be optical first surface mirror as any other will give bad ghosting. But those spy angle scopes are fortunately using FSM at 90deg angle and are available from $18 at the bay but as Mike said a pair won´t work.

About image rotation: mirror at LCD right side (top view) flips left to right and an angle finder flips it?

Any thoughts?

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The FLipBac is a great idea but it will be pain to use for normal shooting where I may review after 3 to 4 shots....the cover will need to be opened and close all the time so I will not be getting it.

Cheers

Weehan
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo Wee Han View Post
The FLipBac is a great idea but it will be pain to use for normal shooting where I may review after 3 to 4 shots....the cover will need to be opened and close all the time so I will not be getting it.

Cheers

Weehan
Agreed. Once I saw that, I wasn't as excited anymore. They should make it removable somehow.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD