Event DV review and 30p to 24p conversion. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Event DV review and 30p to 24p conversion.

EventDV.net: Hot Fusion: The Canon 5D Mark II and the Wedding Filmmaker

I found this article very helpful in working with the 5dmk2.

Short Summery:
-Hand held is shaky get a shoulder mount for the camera
-use compressor when converting to 24p (I bought the cineform and don't recommend it over compressor. Compressor has better and more options.)
-Good low light for weddings.
-They also give a couple of tricks for keeping the f stop fast.
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ashley View Post
-use compressor when converting to 24p (I bought the cineform and don't recommend it over compressor. Compressor has better and more options.)
Cineform isn't really for 24p conversion. It automatically conforms the 30p video to 29.97 by slowing playback, but doesn't do true frame rate conversion. Instead, it's an intermediate codec. It's an alternative to ProRes on the Mac.

I use the PC, generally with Vegas. I've found that After Effects is a good tool for frame rate conversion. That said, I like to slow down the content 80% from 30p to 24p when there's no dialog. It's a perfect conversion, and it takes no processing. The slight slow motion effect often looks great. If you only perform true 30 -> 24 conversion on the scenes with dialog or that can't be slowed, you generally don't have to process quite as much as compared to converting the whole thing.
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ashley View Post
EventDV.net: Hot Fusion: The Canon 5D Mark II and the Wedding Filmmaker

I found this article very helpful in working with the 5dmk2.
It was a good article. Thanks.

I am really interested in workflows for editing sync footage with the A1. They mentioned it briefly but I would love more detail. Like the interview they shot with the real estate guy. That had 5D and A1 footage. To use the 5d you would have to batch export all of the clips before editing. Or edit them in out of sync (30p vs 24p) and just convert the ones that make the final cut.

This is my number one problem with the 5d at this point. Mixing it with my A1/Letus setup.
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

In the article around 1:30 he mentions the rig they use... the shoulder mounted rail system... does anyone know what the brand of rig is that they are showing??
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
In the article around 1:30 he mentions the rig they use... the shoulder mounted rail system... does anyone know what the brand of rig is that they are showing??

I believe that it is a rig built by Cinevate. If you go to their website and look at the bottom of the products page you can see the rig. It appears that the "cage" around the 5D can be used for a small laptop when being used with other cameras. It also appears that the cage is only part of a milti-rail system, shoulder and tripod mounted.
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
As Kyle mentioned, its the Cinevate rig. www.cinevate.com I have their 35mm adapter, great stuff.

I believe they have :

1) Cage
2) Proteus Rails
3) Hand grips + Shoulder pad (sold together)

The cage can also used to mount mattebox and even as a handle to carry the thing around.

Last edited by Randy Panado; April 13th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanx guys... I think your right...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Still Motion

hey guys

glad you enjoyed our little piece. it was a little silly, but talking about these things can get dry pretty easy.

i have 6-7 different presets in compressor for the 5d depending on the type of source footage and what i want to do with it. i am working on getting the audio sync perfect all within compressor.

the handheld rig is from cinevate. we kept bugging them to actually put together a package for the 5d. ours was home built from spare parts so there rig will be somewhat different and better. compared to the zacuto it is super affordable (theirs is like $3.5k). the cage is awesome - I would get that, rails and grips as a low cost start.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post

I use the PC, generally with Vegas. I've found that After Effects is a good tool for frame rate conversion. That said, I like to slow down the content 80% from 30p to 24p when there's no dialog. It's a perfect conversion, and it takes no processing. The slight slow motion effect often looks great. If you only perform true 30 -> 24 conversion on the scenes with dialog or that can't be slowed, you generally don't have to process quite as much as compared to converting the whole thing.
Hi Jon,

I am really interested in doing what you describe as 80% slow motion. I am using PP CS4 and AE CS4, can this be done with the Windows version too? If so, do you mind providing some details.

I also came across this video, witch turned me on to the effect. I would really appreciate any tips you can provide. According to Marco, he just did the following:

"I conformed the 30p footage to 24p using Cinema Tools with the Batch Conform tool. Takes 2 seconds to do with no re-encoding needed (basically just changes the metadata)".

5D Mk II Low Light Testing @ Agave Nightclub on Vimeo

And this is my video that I think would look nice in slow motion:

http://vimeo.com/4113067

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

OK. As far as I remember:

Open a Premiere project with a frame rate of 24 fps.
Import your clips.
Select all clips in the Project panel
Right click > Interpret footage
Change the frame rate in the dialogue box to 24
Place clips on timeline - voila!
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike.

I will give that a try.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Casillas; April 17th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That did the trick, thanks.

Rick
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD