Some raw footage from my Red Rock Field Bundle kit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #16
Wrangler

Here's a shot of how I have the rig currently configured. I have the top handle on simply to lean and rest my temple on while shooting. It's quite stable that way.

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thats looks pretty compact compared to the cage setup..

Thanks for the pic...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Here's a shot of how I have the rig currently configured.
So if you add up all those parts of that rig in the picture, how much will it run?

-- peer
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
So if you add up all those parts of that rig in the picture, how much will it run?

-- peer
-Peer, isn't this the complete RedRock field kit reconfigured? $1995?

-Glen thanks for the pic, look like a winner, even at that price (As compared to the Cine City version I mean) I'm still sitting on the fence on this at the moment though.

One question if you would, can this be mounted on a tripod as it is right now? Looking at the Zacuto stockshooter etc. things, they had one where you could just lift it off the tripod and go shoulder mounted. If you could do that with your RedRock field rig, it would be the winner for me.

Cheers again

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
-Peer, isn't this the complete RedRock field kit reconfigured? $1995?
Na, the Field Kit has eight rods, while Glen's has half as many. To me it looks like a hybrid of something and their new kit:
Attached Thumbnails
Some raw footage from my Red Rock Field Bundle kit-stubling.jpg  
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #21
Major Player

Peer

Yeah I see what you mean. I think I was just thinking that he'd Bought the Field Kit and rejiggled it (technical term :) ). but it seems he's dropped some bits out of it, so I guess if you bought all the bits he shows here separately, you could get it for less than the Field Kit complete.

It certainly looks better for my needs, I probably wouldn't bother with the top handle, using the Loup instead as another contact point. In fact the handle would get in the way of the Loup I suspect.

BTW, any news on your visit to have a look at the Cine City Stuff? Just wondering…

Cheers

Avey
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

You can glean through the posts by Glen but he says he has the Field Kit, but the cage
is a little too much, so he took some of the parts away and came up with the setup he
has shown in the picture... so I guess cost wise it would be to take away the three cage
spreaders and a couple of rods... and you get what you see..

The bottom of the shoulder mount is where the tripod hooks... you can see the dove tail
at the bottom of the shoulder mount lined up with the blue tightener...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
You can glean through the posts by Glen but he says he has the Field Kit, but the cage
is a little too much, so he took some of the parts away and came up with the setup he
has shown in the picture... so I guess cost wise it would be to take away the three cage
spreaders and a couple of rods... and you get what you see..

The bottom of the shoulder mount is where the tripod hooks... you can see the dove tail
at the bottom of the shoulder mount lined up with the blue tightener...
That's more or less ideal then. To be able to use it as a shoulder kit and then mount it on a tripod too. Excellent.

Thanks Ray
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #24
Wrangler

Good questions. I considered the same thing for myself (returning the field rig) and custom building it. However the price would be very close unfortunately- they discount the individual parts in the kits. I only scrapped (well stored, who know's when/if I'll need them in the future) two sets of rails (a 12" and a 9") and 3 sets of those L-brackets that make the cage.

I liked the feel of the shoulder pad being on the same level as the camera- it lines the LCD up better with my eyes. However I like the grips a bit lower so I connected them on a separate set of rails below.

I also added another Q/R plate to disconnect the grips when mounting to a tripod. I can simply slide them off and use the existing plate to mount to a tripod. It's true the dove-tail on the shoulder pad is a mount point for a tripod plate but it's far from efficient. It's wayyyy to front heavy and the rig itself is a bit heavy for a 501/503 bogen head(s).

I find without the cage and grips it's a bit lighter and it's not as front heavy if I leave the shoulder pad on (which helps counter-balance it). You can kind of see it in this image though the shoulder pad is being obscured by the shadows.

Still I find the rig a bit front heavy while shooting handheld with it. I may have to invest in an accessory cheese plate and weights (which the latter I'm told by RedRock will be available in a few weeks).

Overall I feel it was a good investment. It definitely makes it much more manageable to shoot handheld. I like the idea another poster mentioned about using a loupe instead of the top handle. That will definitely be beneficial outdoors- kill two birds with one stone. While it's quite stable it feels all that much more stable with an additional point of contact. At that point it feels as solid as an appendage.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #25
Trustee

Thks for the photos Glenn. I got the idea on how to configure the rig already. The Cinevate solution is interesting too.

One more question is wouldnt i be able to connect the grips to the same rails that the 5D is on, and position it such that the handles are lower? I'm asking just to save on an extra pair of rails. I should think the handles would be a little closer only. Not sure if it would an issue as one hand would be pulling focus most of the time i think.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks for all the answers Glen, it really helps to have someone who has the rig and has played around with it a bit giving advice to those of us thinking about similar purchases.

Cheers

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD