The elusive firmware fix -- a revelation on my part at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Major Player

The elusive firmware fix -- a revelation on my part

As some of you know, my tentative plans were to wait until NAB before I lashed out dough on my MKII. But now as NAB winds down, without any announcement from Canon to upgrade the MKII firmware, I think I know how Canon is playing this:

My thinking is -- as long as the camera sells like candy, why would they fix something that isn't really broken, especially when Nikon hasn't come up with anything that's even remotely as hot as the (crippled) MKII?!

Hence, I doubt we'll see any firmware fix until sales slow down significantly, or until someone (Nikon) releases a MKII killer. This might take some time since Canon is just doing fine where they are right now. As far as I can tell, the MKII was a hit at the NAB -- and this was the first time a DSLR was presented as a professional video camera, (at least at this show).

Oh well, we'll see how long I can wait. (Come'on Nikon, get your act together... will ya?!)

-- peer
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Never in the field of digital cameras was so little needed by so many from so few.

After more than a decade of digital cameras, Canon has never once added a new feature in a firmware upgrade. Mighty Canon is like a rock, never wavering nor faltering. Even when lens sales are dropping due to lack of manual aperture control, it will not stray from its course.

Some might consider the Canon 300D to be a mistake on the part of Canon. after all, valuable features such as ISO 3200 and MLU were included in the firmware for both the 300D and 20D, but only the 300D was crippled by disabling them, to boost sales of the 20D (even for people who didn't want the size or weight).

Of course, photographers soon found a way to re-enable the features with modified firmware. But I don't think this counts as Canon providing a firmware upgrade, and they have been much more careful to cover their tracks when they cripple features.

Lesser companies would have given in to so-called "customers" and their "feedback" six months ago. But not Canon. It will sooner go bankrupt than stoop to such a low level as to offer customers even one vital feature for free.

In all the course of history, this may be the one perfect storm that would cause them to release such a firmware. But even these powerful circumstances are no match for the stalwart fortitude of such a megacorporation.

If Canon adds manual control or 24p in a free firmware upgrade, I'll eat my hat.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
After more than a decade of digital cameras, Canon has never once added a new feature in a firmware upgrade.
That's not true -- the recent 50D update added support for the AF beam on flashes, and the SX1 update added RAW image support. Those were just in the past two months; there might be others that are harder to find with google.

Quote:
If Canon adds manual control or 24p in a free firmware upgrade, I'll eat my hat.
I hope that they do (and that you have a tasty hat). Otherwise someone will find a way to do it without their support, which won't help with their already strained customer loyalty in the videographer market.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Never in the field of digital cameras was so little needed by so many from so few.
Ha..Lol !!!

You're still smoking Winston!

Remember that long firmware wishlist for the XH-A1 that never happened? To be fair, it really grates me that Sony (on my EX1) will go to market with beta firmware, come up with a fix for it, call it an "upgrade," charge you for it in some parts of the world but not others, make you send your cam in to get it when you can do it yourself in 10 minutes. I vastly prefer Canon's policy. (But I agree with you, they will never update to 24p).
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
That's not true -- the recent 50D update added support for the AF beam on flashes,
I would argue that compatibility with basic features of their own products is in a different category.

Quote:
and the SX1 update added RAW image support.
That's a genuine new feature.

Quote:
Those were just in the past two months; there might be others that are harder to find with google.
Perhaps you're right. Here's the features from the latest firmwares accross all Canon DSLR:
  • Enables an external flash connected to the camera's synchro terminal to fire even when the camera's built-in flash is popped up.
  • Changes the error indications that are displayed on the camera.
  • It now supports high-capacity CF cards.
  • It allows the latest lens names to be recorded in the Exif information of images taken.
  • It adds lenses that are compatible with the Digital Photo Professional 3.2 lens aberration correction function.
  • Polish has been added as a new display language in the menu screens.
  • Changes the error indications that are displayed on the camera. The error indications are further clarified to make the causes of errors easier to identify, and so that adequate support can be provided to our customers.

Technically, those are all "features", but to me they are in a different category then what I want for the 5D2.

Quote:
I hope that they do (and that you have a tasty hat).
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Remember that long firmware wishlist for the XH-A1 that never happened?
Sure it happened. They just charged $4,000 for it and called it "XH-A1s". ;) Just like I bet they will charge $2,700 for the 5D2 firmware upgrade and call it a "5D Mark IIn".
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD