5DMkII 1080p Video Imatest MTF50 Resolution Testing Results - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Tom, thank you for taking the time to measure and post you data.

Numbers do matter.

I'm going into shoot day 10 participating in a feature length movie shot on the 5DMII. This piece will show on a theater screen, so I'm very curious as to how it will hold up when projected.

Yes, we have run head first into the moire problem, it was extremely prominent one of our shots.

There are many important criteria for measuring a camera. Low light performance is a great 5DMII attribute. The pretty, painterly, color representation is considered pleasant to many, especially those in advertising.

I consider overall accuracy in rendering a frame the most important factor when evaluating any camera. Many cameras these days produce 'pleasant, pretty' images but not accurate representations of what an eye would see. I think accuracy is the hardest to engineer for and a good meter by which to evaluate a camera.
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #47
Major Player

Tom: what picture style did you have your 5D2 set to when you made that capture? In my experience from this past weekend, When sharpening was up a few notches from the lowest settings, the image looked very nasty, with intense halo around contrasting edges, sort of like the result you got..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #48
Trustee

It was "standard" style. The sharpening was the default '3' setting. In retrospect, I would have shot with "neutral" to more closely match the other cams.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #49
Regular Crew

IMHO, if you're shooting with a default preset, neutral with contrast, sharpening and chroma dialed all the way down is the best bet for a neutral image you can fiddle around with in post. OTOH, I disagree with all the artifact discussion. Yes, it has a rather naty tendency to moiré and sometimes fine horizontal detail in focus can look pretty nasty, but nothing like the artifacts in cameras like the XLH1 or XHA1. First you have the very noticeable resolution drop when going for a progressive frame mode. Next, you need a good uprezzing software to avoid nasty stairsteping from going up from HDV's recorded 1440 to 1920. And last but not least, the absolute worst artifact in HDV cameras is the horrible horrible chroma subsampling, which, along with the resolution subsampling, not to mention the awful chromatic abberrations the stock lenses produce, makes color edges look like atari games from the 1980's. Pulling decent chroma keys in HDV requires some serious tools and patience. The 5D's image is world's ahead of these cameras just because of those three things, not to mention the infinitely better color fidelity, DOF, clean abberation free lenses, really wide wide angles, tilt-shift lenses, picture styles and higher bit rate to mention but a few.

My .02
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda View Post
I disagree with all the artifact discussion. Yes, it has a rather naty tendency to moiré and sometimes fine horizontal detail in focus can look pretty nasty, but nothing like the artifacts in cameras like the XLH1 or XHA1. First you have the very noticeable resolution drop when going for a progressive frame mode. Next, you need a good uprezzing software to avoid nasty stairsteping from going up from HDV's recorded 1440 to 1920. And last but not least, the absolute worst artifact in HDV cameras is the horrible horrible chroma subsampling, which, along with the resolution subsampling, not to mention the awful chromatic abberrations the stock lenses produce, makes color edges look like atari games from the 1980's. Pulling decent chroma keys in HDV requires some serious tools and patience. The 5D's image is world's ahead of these cameras just because of those three things, not to mention the infinitely better color fidelity, DOF, clean abberation free lenses, really wide wide angles, tilt-shift lenses, picture styles and higher bit rate to mention but a few.

My .02
The 5D2 has a lot to recommend as you say, however it's problem with moire and aliasing is worse than either of the two HDV cameras you mentioned.

Update:

I just did a quick video to test for the effectiveness of turning down the sharpness by choosing 'neutral' style and sharpness '0'. It has no effect on the aliasing, just makes the picture too soft but still with visible artifacts.

Out-of-focus optical blur is highly effective if you are able to use depth of field control to blur out the distracting parts.

Last edited by Tom Roper; May 4th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Meh. Most the footage/stills look good to me. Beyond calibration, I stay away from numbers.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #52
Trustee

Lumpy edges?

These are great comparisons. Every time I think of the wonderful wide angle shots, the wafer thin DOF effects and the incredible low light performance, I'll refer back to shots like these which demonstrate lumpy diagonals, and the moire. And the fixed exposure range that can't be pushed/pulled further than what you get.

I'll stick to the plan of a second EX1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD