Sony Vegas Pro 8 - 5D2 Editing Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony Vegas Pro 8 - 5D2 Editing Workflow

1. Convert all mov files to avi with Neoscene 1.2.1 and above
2. Drag into Vegas timeline
3. Apply Color correction filter >> Video Systems RGB to Computer RGB (Critical Step to correct washed out image due to incorrect representation by Vegas!!!)
4. Edit as per normal and render to desired format
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Wait, we still need to do the color correction trick? I thought the current version of Quicktime registers the black level correctly?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You only need to convert to Computer RGB if your monitor isn't adjusted for video and you want to see how it looks. It's better if you calibrate your monitor to set the black level correctly and avoid the conversion.

If you add the Computer RGB correction, Vegas will crush your blacks and whites when you render your output.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

How do you calibrate your computer LCD for video?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Put SMPTE colorbars on your timeline. (Insert | Generated Media | Test Pattern)

In the lower right, you will see three dark bars. The first is darker than black. The second is black. The third is lighter than black. Adjust the monitor brightness so the darker than black bar disappears.

Some monitors have enough range in the brightness control to handle it. At work, I use a Sharp Aquos with brightness set at -18. My home Acer monitor doesn't have the range - in fact, I think it's a backlight, rather than brightness, control. I set my ATI Catalyst (video card) control panel brightness to -19, and that did the trick.

You don't have to worry about the whites. There's no absolute reference. As long as your whites don't clip (they won't, unless you boost the contrast) you're good.

This is a nice thing about Vegas using 16-235: you can pass legal SMPTE bars. NLEs that use 0-255 can't.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Jon. I got the tip from Cineform. I was testing the converted avi out and found the footage washed out when compared to the original. I will do a test to see if the rendered output looks ok.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Jon, I followed your instructions to tune my monitor and proceeded to make a clip with the 3 settings as below, and rendered it to mpeg2 PAL for regular TV playback. All three clips turned out a little different! The best looking was soln 1. soln 2 looked ok as well as 1 & 2 looked very similar. 3 does look a little washed out but not as bad as it looks on PC. After following your calibration method it doesnt look that washed out on the PC as well but it is still noticable.

1. cineform avi + colour filter (PC RGB)
2. 5D2 mov
3. cineform avi
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Open your Vegas scopes to make sure that your signal is correct. Black should be a 16 and white at 235. When you render a DVD/BD from Vegas, the levels should be perfect.

Also, my assumption is that you're running your project at 8-bits. I believe that Vegas is 0-255 when in 32-bit mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD