DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Yet another firmware thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/234737-yet-another-firmware-thread.html)

Chris Barcellos May 7th, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1139311)
It is a very short callback function (about 30 bytes) that just sets a flag in the global config structure. There are many like it; this one had a string in it that gives away its function. I haven't determined if that field is read elsewhere yet, nor have I determined if there is a menu somewhere that calls this function.

Tramm is there an active hack community out there on this one ?

Ignacio Artiņano May 17th, 2009 02:10 AM

If it could help, please put me in the 24/25p asking list.

David Chapman May 17th, 2009 04:18 PM

I saw a feature request sheet on another site that was over a mile long. All I want is manual control on the same functions available in the still mode. Who cares if it's still 30p. I'm sure changing frame rates is a lot more time intensive than changing code to allow manual settings. Did anyone else see this post where users signed to have 1080p30, 1080p24, 720p24, 30 and 60? That's ridiculous!

I don't mind capturing sound on another device, like a digital audio recorder. Just as long as I can control my takes to look visibly identical, in 30p with manual controls.

Josh Dahlberg May 17th, 2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Chapman (Post 1144365)
Who cares if it's still 30p

You would care if you lived in a Pal country. 30p is very difficult to integrate with anything here and requires painstaking conversion to 25p to be useful. What's more 50hz lighting often interferes with shots.

If I were in the States though, I would wholeheartedly agree with you :-)

Jon Fairhurst May 17th, 2009 06:34 PM

Of course, we're all in Vimeo country. 24p is their maximum frame rate.

I'm still amazed that they didn't support 25p though. It's not good to insult a large chunk of your market. (I don't see the lack of manual controls as an insult, just a poor decision. The problem with 30p is that it favors one market over another.)

Nigel Barker May 18th, 2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1144429)
Of course, we're all in Vimeo country. 24p is their maximum frame rate.

They are supposed to be implementing 30fps for HD video in their player sometime. However at present their conversion of 30fps to 24fps looks just awful. I signed up for an account & uploaded some test footage then had to get a refund because the video looked so terrible & they don't seem to be very interested in fixing it. Nigel Barker's videos on Vimeo They even appear to have deleted my forum posting highlighting this 30fps problem.

It's a shame as the Vimeo setup with interactive comments is nice. Exposure Room is a similar site although less popular but they do play the videos without screwing them up. SmugMug is really great for hosting HD video but doesn't have that community element.