iPhone remote for 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Major Player

iPhone remote for 5D

Any one tried this?

"New iPhone camera remote from onOne software - Turn your iPhone into a remote control for your camera with the help of onOne software. OnOne software have developed a new application called the DSLR Remote. Designed to work with Canon EOS DSLRs, the new wireless cable release is designed to be triggered by an iPhone application. From your iPhone you can control settings such as the white balance as well as using it to fire the camera shutter. If you have a camera that supports Live View you can even get a live stream of the camera’s viewfinder on your iPhone.

The DSLR Remote application is available from the iTunes App Store at an introductory price of $9.99 (The application usually retails at $19.99.) A “Lite” version will also be available for $1.99 that only fires the shutter. The required server software that runs on your Mac or Windows computer will be a free download from the onOne website."

The DSLR IRCC iPhone Remote Camera Control
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It's not available yet but from what I can make out it sounds more exciting than it actually is. You need to tether your camera to a computer (Mac or Windows) via a USB cable & then use the iPhone as a remote over a WiFi link.

I am sure that I shall buy it for the novelty value even though I don't see any great advantage to using this rather than running the Canon software. Alternatively the cheap Chinese wireless remote that I got for the 5D works great if I want a remote.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes Nigel,
It is not out yet - I thought it might help with focus on the iPhone, but I guess you are still tethered
Alas...
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
You need to tether your camera to a computer (Mac or Windows) via a USB cable & then use the iPhone as a remote over a WiFi link.
Yep, you need "a laptop or desktop computer running the free companion DSLR Remote Server software and a USB cable to connect your supported Canon EOS DSLR camera to the computer running the free server software"... not very elegant or too remotely, if you think like me.

-- peer
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

If Canon produced a version of EOS Utility as an iPhone/iPod Touch app, then you could theoretically control a wifi-equipped Canon body from your phone without a computer.

Come to think of it, there is an HTTP interface to the wifi adapter. Where's my iPod Touch? I have an idea. :)
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh! It DOES require tethering... I was wondering how that remote worked! Much a hype about nothing IMO..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
If Canon produced a version of EOS Utility as an iPhone/iPod Touch app, then you could theoretically control a wifi-equipped Canon body from your phone without a computer.

Come to think of it, there is an HTTP interface to the wifi adapter. Where's my iPod Touch? I have an idea. :)
That is interesting
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD