DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Attaching the Hoodloupe (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/235915-attaching-hoodloupe.html)

Nigel Barker June 10th, 2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes (Post 1156649)
This is from Bruce Dorn's website, this is good if your not using the battery grip, but the way he mounts it I think is sturdier.

iDC Photo Store - Specialty gear for the photographer

It's a nice way of fixing it to the camera but it does cost $199 vs. $80 for the Hoodloupe alone (although you do save on the $20 rubber band) & you are still stuck with using the less than perfect Hoodloupe.

Wayne Avanson June 10th, 2009 10:52 AM

Fret ye not Nigel, I too have taken a needle and thread to the iCuff.

I discovered that pushing the iCuff forward a bit towards the hoodloup made a very nice shape for comfort of use. Also it's slightly nearer (by a few mm) the eyepiece of the hoodloup but not touching it and still great for getting your eye on the sweet spot easily.

So to make sure the gathered material stayed where it was, I sewed it. Boy that material's tough. You could never accuse iCuff of using second rate material that's for sure.

As an aside, I bought an eyepatch from the chemist for £1.70 for my other eye. The benefits are that I can keep both eyes open for comfort and it's much darker than just closing the eyelid.

AND!!! you get to look like a Pirate while you're filming! Childish but funny.

Glen Elliott June 10th, 2009 10:58 AM

I thought I heard that RedRock was coming out with a solution that mounts your loupe at the correct height on 15mm rails. If this is the case it would be the best solution. No sticky velcro or ridiculous contraptions to hold it "on".

Jon Fairhurst June 10th, 2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1156719)
AND!!! you get to look like a Pirate while you're filming! Childish but funny.

By Jove, I've got it! Rather than a Loupe, we just need the iCuff on the camera. And we need to wear a monocle! It will always stay centered on the eye. And it makes us look like old money.

The pirate patch on the other eye is optional...

Wayne Avanson June 10th, 2009 12:47 PM

Aah, so you're going the monocle/tweed suit direction are you? I'm sticking with the eye patch and frilly shirt.

Parrot is optional…

Wayne Avanson June 11th, 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 1156724)
I thought I heard that RedRock was coming out with a solution that mounts your loupe at the correct height on 15mm rails. If this is the case it would be the best solution. No sticky velcro or ridiculous contraptions to hold it "on".

But what if you don't want to be lugging your rods system about? Just want pop it out of the camera bag and slap on a lightweight tripod and do some quick shots?

I think attaching to the camera with a quick easy way to slip it off when you want is the best.

personal choice obviously.

Avey

Nigel Barker June 11th, 2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1157061)
But what if you don't want to be lugging your rods system about? Just want pop it out of the camera bag and slap on a lightweight tripod and do some quick shots?

I think attaching to the camera with a quick easy way to slip it off when you want is the best.

I agree & there are at least three different ways to firmly attach a loupe as alternatives to Velcro, a rubber band, $20 O-ring or elasticated hair band. You can use the hot shoe or the tripod screw or the route that you & I have chosen gluing to the frame of an LCD shade that clips over the optical viewfinder.

Evidently the optics in the Z-Finder are vastly superior to the Hoodloupe as it uses the lens assembly out of the Schneider 6x7 3X loupe. The Schneider loupe isn't that much more expensive than the Hoodloupe ($150 vs $80) but unfortunately you can't just take a Schneider 6x7 3X loupe & use it in place of the Hoodloupe as the base is too large for the LCD screen. This is the reason for the extra $250 cost of the Z-finder as in addition to a comfy eye cup they have replaced the base of the Schneider loupe with one that does fit the screen.

Perhaps the Schneider optics could be married with the Hoodloupe base?

Nigel Barker June 11th, 2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1156792)
Aah, so you're going the monocle/tweed suit direction are you? I'm sticking with the eye patch and frilly shirt.

Either choice is definitely more macho than Ray Bell's suggestion to "go to walmart and get two of those small black bungi cords that the girls use to tie their hair back"

Nigel Barker June 11th, 2009 07:30 AM

I had been thinking that producing a clip-on loupe with good quality optics for the 5D would be an opportunity for some enterprising person & see that this has become reality. LCD ViewFinder for Canon 5D Mark II - $169!

Wayne Avanson June 11th, 2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1157085)
Either choice is definitely more macho than Ray Bell's suggestion to "go to walmart and get two of those small black bungi cords that the girls use to tie their hair back"

Ha! Fair point. Although I have loads of those which I use as Studio Mic cradles so perhaps this pirate isn't as butch as he likes to think he is…

Wayne Avanson June 11th, 2009 12:03 PM

I'll wait to see what other people think of it when it comes out.

I'm quite happy with the Hoodloup at the moment, now that I've got the iCuff on it and it's fixed to the frame and clipping on easily enough.

besides, I've bought enough stuff for this cam for now I think!

Steve Cahill June 11th, 2009 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the end of a sock over the Hoodman's eye cup. Price is right and socks are always available. I have since dusted the rubber bands and and used velcro. Pic from iPhone.

Ray Bell June 11th, 2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1157085)

Ha, Ha... Nigel, I'll use the black ones and you can use the pink ones.. :-)

Victor Bieganek June 12th, 2009 10:14 AM

I just bought the 3X Hoodman and I attached it with two long rubber-bands. It looks a little sketchy but its a whole lot better than nothing. I am pretty impressed so-far with the results.

Peter Jordan June 15th, 2009 05:33 PM

Steve, where'd you get your velcro? The adhesive on the stuff I have keeps peeling off ...