blog about how to record sound on 5dmk2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I have the Microtrack II, and have tested the H4n. The H4n is the much better product.

You can actually get very good sound out of the Microtrack II if you run an active preamp in front of it. It's still not as clean as the H4n, but it's close. And you can then run the preamp into the 5D with Magic Lantern firmware, if you want in-camera audio.

You can hear the juicedLink CX231 into the Microtrack II here:
5D Mark II Audio Exposed (First Results) on Vimeo

And compare the Microtrack II to the H4n here:
5. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Noise on Vimeo
Thanks for the response.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Is there any difference between the CX211 and the CX231 beyond the 231 having phantom power?
Dana Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Dana:

I have the CX231, and it looks like phantom is the primary difference on the spec sheet.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Jon mentioned the Sound Devices MM-1 on the first page of this thread--anyone have experiences with that? MM-1 Line Driver / HP Monitor | Sound Devices, LLC It doesn't have a mixer, but it does have a headphone output, mic-pre, peak limiter, and phantom power. And I've heard the Sound Devices stuff is very high quality.

eta: I just thought of a couple disadvantages of the MM-1 compared to the Juicedlinks--the MM-1's output is XLR, so you'd need an adapter for the 5D. Also the MM-1 won't fit neatly under the camera like the Juicedlink. The SD MP-1 is about the same price as the JL CX-231 (with some advantages as well as disadvantages afaik).
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Newberry View Post
The SD MP-1 is about the same price as the JL CX-231 (with some advantages as well as disadvantages afaik).
While SoundDevices has a great reputation, I think the juicedLink is the better match for the 5D Mark II. As mentioned, the JL output is plug-and-play compatible. Also, the CX-231 is stereo, while the MP-1 is mono for about the same price. My tests show the juicedLink to be dead quiet with clean gain. Even if the SD is cleaner (I haven't used it), the improvement would be negligible, considering the 16-bit A/D in the camera.

Frankly, the only advantages I see with the SD MP-1 would be if you were planning to move to an XLR, line level system, only needed a mono preamp, and wanted the Sound Devices name. For use with the 5D2, two channels worth of value, and direct mounting, I'd go with the juicedLink.

Fortunately, this isn't a trade off between functionality, cost, and sound quality. The sound through the juicedLink is excellent.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #51
Trustee

managed to convince Singular Software to do a limited 1 month discount of pluraleyes for readers of my blog. Get 20% off until Nov 15th

Philip Bloom Blog Archive 20% off the amazing plug-in PLURALEYS for 1 month only!!! Also Sony Vegas free Beta now out.
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Do pluraleyes works only with Final Cut Pro or also with Final Cut Express?

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD