Any Change with the HDMI Output? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Any Change with the HDMI Output?

Just wondering if anybody with the new 5D firmware has tested the HDMI output to see if a full resolution image is sent out?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Just wondering if anybody with the new 5D firmware has tested the HDMI output to see if a full resolution image is sent out?
Crap! I crashed my camera!!! (Removing the battery fixed it.)

My monitor (a 23" Acer) has HDMI, but doesn't support 480i through the HDMI connector.

I tested the HDMI output in live view. It's the same as it ever was. I then pressed record. Sure enough, the output dialed back to 480i. In the past, my camera would then exit live view. Tonight, with the new firmware, my camera locked up.

Anybody buying an HDMI monitor really needs to check that the monitor supports 480i as well as 1080p!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just curious Jon, If one were to hook up a Nano Flash to the live output of the camera without pressing record, would the image be uncompressed 1080p?

Also, during the live operation, not recording, are all of the controls active?

This could be good news for Nano Flash users as one would not need to engage the camera's recording to get the image.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Just curious Jon, If one were to hook up a Nano Flash to the live output of the camera without pressing record, would the image be uncompressed 1080p?

Also, during the live operation, not recording, are all of the controls active?

This could be good news for Nano Flash users as one would not need to engage the camera's recording to get the image.
When not recording (in live view) you get a square on the screen that won't go away.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That is a shame.

Is the square some kind of center marker?

I would have to wonder why they would cripple the live output of this camera?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The real problem is that the menu screen is 4x3. Canon squeezes the image to fit in the 16x9 frame and allow menu information to show. Anyway, the image is smaller than 1080p, and they throw away lines and columns to get it.

If you thought that aliasing was bad with the normal 5D output, it's way worse with the HDMI Live View output.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Have you noticed if you take a still picture of something that would cause the aliasing moiré then size it down to the published resolution of the 5D's screen.

Then enlarge this back up to 1920 and put it next to a movie clip of the same shot they look very similar.

It's as if the 1920 is just and interpolated upscaled output of the screen.

Tried with different interpolation settings. Will post a few sample shots, but the aliasing is a close match as also the quality of the image.
James Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD