reviews of this camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

reviews of this camera

There aren't many comprehensive reviews of this camera out there. We know it does the shallow focus thing with the big chip, we know it's got low lighting abillity, but what about everything else? how much latitude? clean image or atifacts? Does it sample color at 422? Any shoot out?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Major Player

I read a few general ones in photography magazines earlier in the year and there's one here
Canon EOS 5D Mark II review Cameralabs introduction

But I don't know if it's detailed enough for you. They all seem a bit 'general' to me.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

Here is a good review and he will probably do a follow up on new FW.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Review
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's a shoot out from Zacuto I saw a few months back. It compares many different cameras to each other, including the 5d mkii.

Zacuto's Great Camera Shootout '08 on Vimeo
Chad Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Major Player

DPReview.com always does good reviews... Canon EOS 5D Mark II Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

These are mainly links to the Canon's still photography capabilities. But this a video forum. I'm sure it takes awesome stills, but the vid quality? Still, not much useful info any where on web regarding this camera's efficacy for video. specifically, how good does this footage look? I've read some disturbing reports of bad aliasing but you've really got to dredge to get some good info.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
These are mainly links to the Canon's still photography capabilities. But this a video forum. I'm sure it takes awesome stills, but the vid quality? Still, not much useful info any where on web regarding this camera's efficacy for video. specifically, how good does this footage look? I've read some disturbing reports of bad aliasing but you've really got to dredge to get some good info.
As far as video goes, the positive points are:
* Great low light response
* Excellent DOF possibilities
* Best codec in its class (38Mbps h.264)
* Ability to create custom profiles that shape the 14-bit image before the encoder
* Ability to use a huge number of available lenses
* Manual control ;)

Negative points are:
* Aliasing on fine horizontal lines (I recommend using an optical softening filter)
* Rolling shutter artifacts (use good stabilization; avoid fast motion - except with the widest lenses)
* Blockiness on uniform surfaces (the codec is very good, but not perfect)
* Some feel that the noise reduction is excessive (contributes to above point)
* No 24/25p - yet. ;)

Like most tools, if you use it in the right setting with care, it can own its domain. "Reverie" is an example of what it shoots really well. Shoot handheld in bright light with fast motion and fine horizontal lines over uniform surfaces, and you'll be wishing you had used an HPX170 - if not a DVX100b.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD