How many stops of latitude on the 5d? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How many stops of latitude on the 5d?

Has anyone tested or guestimated it?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

DPReview has it at ~8.6 stops of dynamic range for stills.

Check out the review of the camera on the site, it has a lot of good information.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
DPReview has it at ~8.6 stops of dynamic range for stills.

Check out the review of the camera on the site, it has a lot of good information.
Well that's a little underwhelming, considering the EX1 rated 10.5 stops.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The article also states if you work in Raw you can get up to 11.1 stops... how much of
that is usable is questionable

When I look at EX1/3 footage and D5II footage together the first thing I see is the noise
differences... the EX1/3 has much more noise in the dark areas...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

These numbers don't mean much. The EX1 can more easily shoot nice, competent video and has many more features. The 5DII can make shoot gorgeous film like clips. On 5DII the default settings the images are "punchy", so I doubt it has even 8 stops. Flattened out it has a pretty good range.

But like I said, it doesn't really matter, for just recording an image the ex1/3 is a better tool.

I've noticed that people whose experience is shooting a lot of video but little film have the most difficult time seeing the difference in the 5DII compared to good standard video cameras. This was very apparent when the camera was first released.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

When I look at EX1/3 footage and D5II footage together the first thing I see is the noise
differences... the EX1/3 has much more noise in the dark areas...
What other observations do you have about the comparison.
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Hunter Richards found the 5D had a little over 8 stops of dynamic range in video mode. That sounds about right to me, as long as settings are correct and nothing is clipped in post. The dynamic range on the 5D is really pretty good, better or on par with most other cameras I have worked with.

This clip keeps coming up, but it is a good demonstration of the cameras performance:
Schärfentiefenvergleich Canon XH-A1 vs. 5D Mark II on Vimeo
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post

This clip keeps coming up, but it is a good demonstration of the cameras performance:
Schärfentiefenvergleich Canon XH-A1 vs. 5D Mark II on Vimeo
I wouldn't say it's a good test of either cameras' performance, but rather a simple display of basic optical principals.
Also, I don't understand on some low DOF shots why nothing appears to be in focus.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Major Player

Agreed, not ideal. You are right about how it's soft. Looks like it was possibly shot with some diffusion.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

It looks like that guy missed focus a bit.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Also doesn't say what the picture settings on the XHA1 were, it's got a lot of room to dial back highlights, etc so that may not be truly representative of what it is capable of.

I've been noticing a big difference in terms of noise though - not even necessarily immediately visible, but once compressed the 5D seems to stay cleaner at lower bit rates - although that could be partly attributable to the lower amount of background picture detail due to the shallow DOF compared to the XHA1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD