Jib Arm for 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Jib Arm for 5D

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Jib arm for my canon 5d including the tripod. I found Kessler crane web site and they have packages. I am wondering if any of you used their cranes or do you recommend other ones cheaper?
Gilbert Khoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Trustee

i just finished a short where we used one of their cranes it worked admirably, though it was a little large for what I needed.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

there's a lad on Vimeo using a nice compact one. I'll see if I can find the link again
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Major Player

ahh, here it is

5DMK2 + Jib Crane on Vimeo
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Khoury View Post
I'm looking for a reasonably priced Jib arm for my canon 5d including the tripod. I found Kessler crane web site and they have packages. I am wondering if any of you used their cranes or do you recommend other ones cheaper?

I own a Kessler crane that I use with my JVC HD100. I like it, but if I was buying now, I'd wait for their pocket jib to come out, which I think looks great.
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for all the responses.

By the way, how do you guys focus while using the jib arm? Is there any remote control that you use or you use the wide open lens?
Gilbert Khoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Khoury View Post
Thank you for all the responses.

By the way, how do you guys focus while using the jib arm? Is there any remote control that you use or you use the wide open lens?
Depends on the camera. With the 5D that would be a challenge. You'd have to have the operator standing beside the camera, focusing manually as the jib went up or down. Or you could rent a remote control follow focus, which would be dope, but expensive!
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Trustee

I was standing next to the camera, Ideally you'd have a remote controlled rig but I don't so there you go. I had someone operating at the weight end and then I would guide by that camera end, and adjust focus. the other thing I've tried is just coming into focus so that no pull is necessary, that way kinda sucked.
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
I was standing next to the camera, Ideally you'd have a remote controlled rig but I don't so there you go. I had someone operating at the weight end and then I would guide by that camera end, and adjust focus. the other thing I've tried is just coming into focus so that no pull is necessary, that way kinda sucked.
Did you use a focus follower with whip?
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD