First recordings out of Magic Lantern at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

First recordings out of Magic Lantern

These are my first recording using Magic Lantern
(well actually second, because I was screwing up the first ones by trying to record the mic in line input on the Juiced Link. Mic was the Sennheiser ME66

I tested two ways. First is with the Juicelink alone, set on highest level, and with trim about 12 oclock position. I think Jon Fairhurst recommend cranking the JuiceLink all the way, and I think I could have done that here too.

Because I know that I might shoot with more than two mics sometime or another, I also ran my ME66 through my Eng44 mixer. It added plenty of boost to the signal, and I am pleased that will work to.

Headphone monitoring was done out of the camera-- hip hip horray !!!! Since I was on wrong side of camera, I didn't get to see levels meter that well. But they do work great. I did add a Boostaroo Revolution headphone amp that give me a fairly accurate feel for when my levels are getting to hot. That is why on the ENG44 test, I turned down volume a bit. Have listen below.

I did nothing with these files except covert them to .wma in Vegas.
Attached Files
File Type: wma juicedlinkonly.wma (4.59 MB, 319 views)
File Type: wma withJuicedLinkandEng44.wma (4.30 MB, 265 views)
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Sounded great to me.
Not as "thick" as I typically hear from the ME66, but still a very clean signal, as far as I can tell.
I think I'll be happy with a JuicedLink and Tramm's ML.

VERY cool!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As I said didn't touch it except to convert it to WMA from original sound through Vegas. Not sure what that process might do, or just sticking it on time line may do to alter it. Another mic, multiple lavs... whatever, it is clear this will work for us.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It occurred to me I should also provide a test with my ENG44 straight to camera. I ran this through the Beachtek DXA-4 with attenuators turned all the way up. in retrospect, in listening in the section I turned up the ENG44 levels, I think I overdid it a bit.

Have listen.
Attached Files
File Type: wma Eng44onlytest..wma (2.59 MB, 198 views)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD