Proposed sub-forum split... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Proposed sub-forum split...

Would anyone object if I divide this board into sub-groups? I think it would make certain topics easier to find, and prevent frequently discussed topics from falling off the first page of the index. Categories would be Glass, Firmware, Edit / Post, and Accessories. The drawback is that the sub-forum list would push the general category index down the page somewhat, possibly below the fold, as seen here: Tapeless Video Recording Solutions - The Digital Video Information Network -- so let me know what you think.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I like the single category. No extra clicks are needed to see everything. Splitting things up means four clicks to see the subtopics and a scroll to see the main one.

If you do split it, I like the categories, though audio seems to fall between the cracks of general, accessories, and firmware.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Unless it would help you, Chris, I don't feel there's much of a benefit for me as a end viewer.
Right now there are a lot of posts due to the excitement of Tramm's release and even some residual from Canon's firmware update. But in general, the amount of posts here per day are pretty manageable, I feel.
In fact, when I saw the title of your thread here, I thought you might be suggesting a split for Creative Content vs. the Tech Side.
But again, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming need and, like Jon, I like a simpler click-life.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I like to see everything on this camera in one place... when I sign on everytime.

I have seen such a split up at other sites, and I think it can relagate some important posts to a dungeon never to be seen.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

Unless the volume increases a lot more, there is not a problem.

Right now this is a very nice forum. The split would make me use it less.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris,
interesting idea,
but when everything is aggregated on one page I end up reading things that I may not have been searching for and I like this.
But I am a frequent flyer, so I enjoy seeing how threads rise, fall and regenerate.

Thanks for all the work,
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris, Any reason why these 4 categories cannot be placed at the top as open stickies?
I would personally would like to see some form of sub categories as it allows less frequent visitors to get to the thread without another similar one being started.

KR, James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

With the current volume I vote for a single forum.
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Major Player

I second the sub-forum split idea.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Major Player

I like the current format. As someone else said - it gets me to read things I might not otherwise have seen about the 5d and I like that. You can never know too much about the tools you use every day.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Personally, I like the single category. No extra clicks are needed to see everything. Splitting things up means four clicks to see the subtopics and a scroll to see the main one.

If you do split it, I like the categories, though audio seems to fall between the cracks of general, accessories, and firmware.
Ditto.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris you are a top act, always ready to improve this forum for everybody!

It seems like a votation, so my vote goes to leave like now unless the traffic and post number increases a lot!
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #13
New Boot

As someone who can't get here every day, the current style let's me review everything quickly and easily

If you do break off sub-forums I'd vote for "hacks" or firmware to be one of them and post production issues/techniques to be another
Jon Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #14
Major Player

I'd prefer if it stays the way it is now -- one forum. I don't think there are yet too many postings to justify a breakup.

-- peer
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Major Player

Please keep it as one forum. Other websites have split it up and it's tedious.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD