Extended warranty question on 5D?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extended warranty question on 5D??

I'm about to buy the 5D and I know its good to have an extended warranty, but are most of you that already own one find that its very necessary to spend the extra cash??? I had the XL1 and XL2 and never had any problems...... Just curious.....
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

I never buy the extended warranties. You know on the average they make money on them.

If you buy a lot of gear over the years you will save by not buying extra warranties. In my opinion this is true of computers cameras and cars.

I currently have 3 Sony Cameras and 4 Canon cameras and 2 Panasonics.

Only two of them have needed repair and it was way less than extended warranties for all of them, neither was a Canon.

If something catastrophic happens they are covered by my insurance policy, that has happened a number of times over the years and those would not have been covered by warranties.

The new gear with fewer moving parts (no clogged heads or broken tape transports) seems way more reliable to me.

This is just my opinion but it works for me.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Buy it from Best Buy

I got my 5D from Best Buy...enrolled in Rewards Zone and got enough points for free 8 gig Extreme III CF card...and enrolled in the Best Buy Black Tie program (extended warranty) because it covers and Accidental breakage for 3 years for $300 bucks (that's hundreds less than insurance).
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Fisher View Post
I got my 5D from Best Buy...enrolled in Rewards Zone and got enough points for free 8 gig Extreme III CF card...and enrolled in the Best Buy Black Tie program (extended warranty) because it covers and Accidental breakage for 3 years for $300 bucks (that's hundreds less than insurance).
We have an equipment, building and liability insurance package for our production company. The Canon is included in our coverage for no added cost, we have a on location allowance already in place.

I guess it is a question of scale. We often bring $100,000.00 of equipment on location.

Like I said in my earlier post, I look at the numbers over a long time.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
We have an equipment, building and liability insurance package for our production company. The Canon is included in our coverage for no added cost, we have a on location allowance already in place.

I guess it is a question of scale. We often bring $100,000.00 of equipment on location.

Like I said in my earlier post, I look at the numbers over a long time.
Olof,

I too have Equipment Coverage on my business policy.

However, you may want to check your deductible on that EQ policy. At least I know my underwriter for equipment coverage here has a $500 deductible...that still makes the Best Buy deal better.
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD