Size of the BG-E6 battery grip..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Size of the BG-E6 battery grip..?

Anyone knows how tall the 5D is with the BG-E6 battery grip?

-- peer
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have a non-Canon grip that looks the same as the genuine article & was purchased on eBay from China. Measured to the topmost part of the hot-shoe it is just under 16.5cm (sorry don't have a ruler with inches).

BTW A grip that looks identical to mine is for sale with 2 non-Canon batteries for just $79.99 including free shipping in the US. Which is quite a bargain compared to the price of the Canon part.

BG-E6 Grip+2 LP-E6 Battery for Canon EOS 5D Mark II - eBay (item 190318083890 end time Jul-29-09 13:44:05 PDT)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Measured to the topmost part of the hot-shoe it is just under 16.5cm (sorry don't have a ruler with inches).
Oh, thank you very much (and metric is fine with me, I'm European after all ;^)

Quote:
BTW A grip that looks identical to mine is for sale with 2 non-Canon batteries for just $79.99 including free shipping in the US. Which is quite a bargain compared to the price of the Canon part.
Just bought it -- super many thanks again!

-- peer
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Of course:-) & for anyone metrically-challenged the size is 16.5cm divided by 2.54 = 6.496 or just about six & one half inches.

Quote:

-- peer
That is a great price particularly including the two batteries. I paid about $100 for the grip alone & am very pleased with the quality & functionality
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

generic battery grip with great price

Hi Peer,

Now that you've had the battery grip and batteries for awhile, how do you like them?

That deal, which is still on eBay, is the same as the price for the generic grip alone, which itself is less than half the Canon price. An amazing deal, if it's a good product. I also wonder if it's the same grip as the other one, which is made by Zeikos.

Thanks.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
Hi Peer,
Now that you've had the battery grip and batteries for awhile, how do you like them?
The grip is good enough, it's on my camera all the time. I also have a generic Canon grip for my old SLR, and even if that one is slightly better built, it's basically no difference. The batteries, however don't work in the Canon charger, and the camera won't recognize them -- i.e., it won't show you the charge. They sent me a separate charger for them, and I use them mostly as backups.

-- peer
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:

-- peer
Quote:
The grip is good enough, it's on my camera all the time. I also have a generic Canon grip for my old SLR, and even if that one is slightly better built, it's basically no difference. The batteries, however don't work in the Canon charger, and the camera won't recognize them -- i.e., it won't show you the charge. They sent me a separate charger for them, and I use them mostly as backups.

-- peer
Great, thanks for the answer!
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:

-- peer
I've heard if you put one OEM battery in the grip with one aftermarket one, you can get a battery reading, so you might want to try that.

Also, there have been some reports of specific 3rd party grips locking up the main body's controls. After some time, folks figured out that if the 3rd party grip had it's wheel in certain positions, the the body would lock up. Sounds like just clicking the wheel out of those bad positions will unlock the body. That said, it sounded like several of the 3rd party grips do not suffer that problem at all, but regardless, something to watch out for when purchasing.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes I have a 'cheap' battery pack made by 'Meike' and I can confirm that with one original Canon battery and one of the OEM ones in the pack, you do get a reliable battery life indication on the camera.
Sometimes after a battery change I find only the buttons and wheel on the bottom of the battery pack work, instead of duplicating the camera body ones. However that only happens for the first time you try and use the camera buttons/wheel after a batt change. Subsequently you get the normal operation. Strange but it's no hassle and the pack is tons cheaper that the manufacturers of course.
Since video eats up batteries I couldn't get by without a larger battery pack and another replacement set of batts. Plus you get the ability to put in 6xAA cells in an emergency.
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
I've heard if you put one OEM battery in the grip with one aftermarket one, you can get a battery reading, so you might want to try that.
Just tried it, and yes, it seems to work (hopefully I get juice from both of them).

-- peer
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Just tried it, and yes, it seems to work (hopefully I get juice from both of them).

-- peer
OT!
Damn, Peer it's like checking out my old love affair Index of /96/img as gay as it might seem it's only the past, no more stupendous tuning on classics.
And if I ever find any photos about this bike illustrated here http://sugar.autonomicum.com/gallery/pic/cb.gif - my first industrial design attempt...

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD