One Solution for the Card Issue- In Camera Format Before Loading Magic Lantern. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

One Solution for the Card Issue- In Camera Format Before Loading Magic Lantern.

I just had an experience today, that tells me there may be some hope for those of us having card trouble loading Magic Lantern. I was headed out to a party for a shoot, and I had been shooting Magic Lantern on only one of my 4 Kingston cards -- 2 16s, and 2 8's. I had previously used the other 16 with an earlier version of Magic Lantern, and also had a subdirectory on it that I had the prior versions on.

At any rate, before I left for a shoot today, I dragged and dropped Magic Lantern 0.1.4 onto the root directory the three cards, packed them up, and left for the shoot. On the one that had had other versions on it, I deleted the version in the root directory, and pasted the new one.

Low and behold, when I changed over to the other cards, I hung up, on all three of them. I didn''t know why. In fact, the one on which I had had a version before, actually gave me the choice to load and earlier version of Magic Lantnern, or the the Canon 1.10 version which I had also loaded on that card. I ended up having to finish the shoot with the cards in regular mode, and I had no control of sound.

When I got back home tonight I tried the cards again... no go still. So after offloading the shoot, I took the cards I was having trouble with, and did an in camera format. I then took them out of the camera, stuck them in my computer, and recopied the Magic Lantern 0.1.4 firmware to them. They all worked.

So moral of story is, before loading ML to your cards, give them a fresh format first. and you may eliminate the problem you have been having.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have seen at least one report now of someone having issues with the 32gig Kingston card not booting with Magic Lantern, successfully booting after an in camera reformat of the card. I would like others who have had problems to report what occurs after an in camera format, so we can see if this is a major solution to the issue..
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris,
I have a few of these cards and will give this a try

John
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD