Juddering/Freeze Frame at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Juddering/Freeze Frame

Hello!

Has anyone else had the camera freeze a couple of frames specially when panning? (not strobing) After some testing I've determined it is unrelated to IS or CF card. It has messed a whole day's work for me.
Salvador Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you tried to turn IS off?
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Are you using manual controls with the new firmware. This problem has been described with the original firmware in auto setting when the aperture changes with changing light levels.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Salvador,
Are talking about the recorded movie not just the preview whilst recording. As the preview image will look like it's juddering but playback, frame by frame will be fine. This is normal and you normally only notice on pans.

If it is the recorded movie make sure you are using fast enough CF Cards* and you are in full manual**.
*Slow cards will have to buffer the data written to the card, evident by the symbol displayed on screen. **Aperture changes on auto mode can cause a frame drop.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks everyone!

I've 1.1.0 firmware, using the camera in Manual mode. This happens with IS off, or with lenses that do not have IS. I'm using Extreme III cards (30MB/sec) so that shouldn't be an issue. The frame sticking or juddering is noticeable even without a card. It is most noticeable when panning, even at slow speeds.

The frame sticking can be seen in the recordings. I'll post some footage later tonight.

I've tried everything from clearing the camera's settings, reloading the firmware, testing several shutter speeds/ISO combinations. Even toggling on/off several unrelated menu items to see if they have any impact on the problem, but it still persists. It also happens when using an external monitor.
Salvador Garza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD