Help- "ERROR 02"! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Wrangler

Help- "ERROR 02"!

At the end of a shoot today I got an Error 02 on one of my cards. It wouldn't allow me to view any of the footage on the car what so ever.

I was indeed able to retrieve 90% of the files but the last 4-5 shots are completely unreadable (ie OSX won't even let me try and transfer them).

I tried messing with a program called Photo Recovery for Digital Media 3.5 (downloaded via Version Tracker). However it's shareware and wants me to fork over $40 before I can even try out moving some of those bad files over.

Anyone know of a way to get these files off (baring they aren't totally corrupted)?

Also, afterwards, can I simply reformat the card and keep using it or is this indicative of a bad card in general????

Thanks in advance!
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Glen the card is toast. I had one that was like that out of the box, so I was lucky. I am not sure if you are going to be able to recover anything from the card either, as it will have to be able to be read by something to have a chance of recovery. This is really scary to me to think this could happen at any time.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
Glen the card is toast. I had one that was like that out of the box, so I was lucky. I am not sure if you are going to be able to recover anything from the card either, as it will have to be able to be read by something to have a chance of recovery. This is really scary to me to think this could happen at any time.

Bruce
Yeah this is the first time I used this card. It's a brand-spankin new Sandisk Extreme III 16gb. Oddly enough only the last 5-6 takes on the card are causing problems. Regardless I don't feel safe enough to try using it again.

IMHO, this is a huge downside to shooting weddings with the 5DmkII or any solid state camera for that matter. Thank goodness this wasn't a wedding shoot. I'd hate to lose the file with the vows/rings!!!!!
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

Update: I purchased "FILERECOVERY for Mac" and it was indeed able to get the corrupt files off the card on to my local HD. However they were still unplayable. :(
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Glenn
Sorry
My experience recovering files from memory cards was very awful. I tried different programs but even that you recover the file they were not playable either.
Good Luck
Sorry
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
Glenn
Sorry
My experience recovering files from memory cards was very awful. I tried different programs but even that you recover the file they were not playable either.
Good Luck
Sorry
Does this mean it's a bad card? Or could it be used faithfully in the future after a format?
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Had a similar issue with a 02 error. Lost some still images. I believe the issue is that I transfered some images from the card from a external card reader then reinserted it back into the camera without re-formatting, then got the 02 errors. Always reformat after the card has left the camera and image transfer has taken place before using the card again.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
Had a similar issue with a 02 error. Lost some still images. I believe the issue is that I transfered some images from the card from a external card reader then reinserted it back into the camera without re-formatting, then got the 02 errors. Always reformat after the card has left the camera and image transfer has taken place before using the card again.
There is no point to reformatting the card every time that you put it in a reader. The card reader doesn't do anything to the card it's a reader. I could understand perhaps if you had added/deleted/formatted the card before returning it to the camera.

I have transferred many thousands of video clips & still images using a Lexus Firewire 800 CF reader & never had a single problem.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; July 16th, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Major Player

I believe I did alter the file structure on the card, with the card reader, ( which can write to the card as well) Scandisk firewire unit, by copying over a file or deleting one. I was not specific about that. Reformatting card(s) has become a standard procedure in my work flow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD