Juicedlink/Beachtek feature requests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Juicedlink/Beachtek feature requests

Now that I've had the Juicedlink and DXA-5D for a while I'd like to see a few changes in a future models that are aimed more at the 5dmkII. I'm hoping that if there is enough interest we could persuade one or both manufacturers to build it, so please chime in.

Personally I like the camera fitting form factor of the DXA-5D and the camera locating pins, but I think that the pre-amps of the Juicedlink are essential for best performance out the 5dmkII. I prefer the metal construction of the Juicedlink and the ability to put a strap on it for use like a regular mixer, I dislike its sharp corners on which I've scraped myself several times. I do like the detachable minijack cable from the Juicedlink over the Beachtek's captive one. I also think it is worth keeping the agc defeat option of the Beachtek in a future adapter as its not clear that future camera models will offer manual level control and Tramm may not have the time to hack every new camera!

Some of the extra things I would like are featured in other models in their respective ranges. I'd be happy to stay with 2 channels but really like to have LED VU's like the DXA-6VU or the Juicedlink CX471. I'd also prefer to have a box that ran on AA batteries rather than a 9v, or ideally off batteries that are the same as the 5dmkII. If the units can be made to be slightly less tall to allow standard rails to be used underneath with a Mattebox then that would be good too. The Beachtek DXA2s is about the right height for this, so it can be done I think.

It would also be great to add a small heaphone amp circuit in the unit as well, this would take the output from the camera and provide a headphone jack. In the ideal world this could be switched to use to monitor the mixer too. The main aim of this is to avoid having another battery powered unit like the Boosteroo dangling around.

I'd also like someone to make another very small mixer for the run and gun user, it would basically be a minijack only mixer for use with mics like the Sennheiser MKE400 and the Rode. It would have 2 minijack ins for shotgun and radio mic, but importantly have a preamp as well. VUs would be great but not essential. It would be made as small as physically possible and mount either on the top, side or underneath the camera, along the same lines as the Ambient TinyMix Tinymike On-Camera Microphone Solutions: Ambient Recording GmbH

Please add your suggestions.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Chung; July 17th, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Great thread, Dan,

The top things that I'd like on the juicedLink are
1) a built-in headphone amp, and
2) a way to mount the camera without tools - or at least with a place to store the tool on the box, and
3) at least one locating pin for the 5D2. Note that the battery grip lacks the locating hole, so it should be spring loaded or removable.
4) Big knobs like on the BeachTek, and
5) Better visibility power and low-battery lights. The red LEDs are invisible in sunlight.

The BeachTek has some nice features mechanically, but blocks access to the 5D2 battery. The juicedLink (I mount it so the knobs face the operator) leaves the battery accessible.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Jon,

Good points, especially about battery door access and power LED visibility in bright light.

Anyone else?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I'd also prefer to have a box that ran on AA batteries rather than a 9v, or ideally off batteries that are the same as the 5dmkII.
Or a DC power input.
Quote:
It would also be great to add a small heaphone amp circuit in the unit as well, this would take the output from the camera and provide a headphone jack. In the ideal world this could be switched to use to monitor the mixer too.
Depending on how specialized the device is to the 5D, perhaps have the headphone amp use a 4 pin TRRS connector for the input and split the composite video output to a BNC.

One minor hardware change would be to allow a single input channel to be split between the two mixers so that there are separate physical gain knobs, without requiring an external XLR splitter.

A physical change would be to swap the offset between the tripod mount and the camera body connection. As it is now, the tripod mounts behind the camera screw, pushing the CG of the body and lens further forward, away from the pivot of the tripod head. This doesn't matter as much if you're using rails or a tripod mounted lens, but can be tough on a normal tripod.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

1. I would love to see an auxilary stereo mini plug input, like some Beachteks have so upi can input for that type of mic too.

2. AA battery pack instead

3. DC adater capability.

4. Monitor plug in for sound out putted from Magic Lantern, with amp to Headphone out with level adjustment.

5. I actually like to shoot with the unit north south, when attached directly to camera, beacause it does not block access to battery compartment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD