Best workflow on a mac to not clip RGB values at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Tourist

Best workflow on a mac to not clip RGB values

Hey guys,

First off I am a FCP user
I am trying to work out the best way to edit 5d clips, colour correct them etc and not have the rgb values clamped! I am aware of the bring clips into fcp natively send to colour uncheck broadcast safe and then bring the levels into range. This method is very time consuming and clunky and editing h264 is a nightmare. I have begun trialing neoscene fro m cineform and the cineform codec export with canon 5d limit YUV checked the resulting transcode isn't clipped. My excitement faded a bit when I noticed that the cineform codec is not very RT friendly with FCP unlike Prores despite Prores' bitrate being higher. There is a prores output option from neoscene which would be perfect if it did not clamp RGB also! Anyway I am just looking for input as I am past the process of just fooling around with the camera and am looking for a solid workflow to begin shooting spots, promos etc without losing any of my 5d's 9 stops of DR unless I want to!

Thanks in advance
Samuel Tatsuo Phibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Tourist

Looks like I have found the answer to my problem after some hours of research. It seems that mpegstreamclip v 1.9.2 converts the h264s to prores without clamping/clipping the rbg levels and stores them in the 0-100 range so you dont have to adjust levels in your editor/colour corrector to bring the luminance into range. I found that v 1.9.2 does this & thus eliminates more post work, however i tried the 1.9.3 beta and that does not clip the rgb levels however it is like the colour route, ie you can open the clips in FCP and you have info both in the superwhites and superblacks that you have to adjust into range.

Hope this helps someone and makes sense it is late at night!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I was under the impression this was fixed for most people with the latest quicktime update. It didn't work for me for some reason, so I've been going the streamclip route. Do you have the latest quicktime installed? If so, and you're still seeing clipping, I wonder what could cause this?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

This problem was fixed months ago with a QuickTime update & as far as I understand it MPEG Streamclip basically just uses QT to do all the conversions anyway.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Tourist

This has not been fixed for me even with latest quicktime & FCP updates otherwise I wouldn't have been looking so hard for a solution. I dont use compressor to do the conversion as it will clip the values, if I bring in H264s straight into timeline in FCP they will clip. Anyway has anyone else had these issues? I am not so fussed now as I have found a solution with streamclip and it is faster than compressor anyway I did time trials! ( Just have to remember when batching to set simultaneous actions to " 4 ". )
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Major Player

That's the same problem I'm having. I've tried re-installing QT but no change. MPEG Streamclip may use quicktime for decoding but it's clearly doing something different as it doesn't clip for me, and since it works I haven't worried about it much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD