Trying to figure out if this would work for monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to figure out if this would work for monitor.

Portable 7 Inch Color LCD Monitor

Does anyone know if this would be an ok option since the output is only 420 anyways on the 5D during shooting?

Probably not the best color control option but for $150 how could you beat it for a cheap option?
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Many times these cheaper monitors have extremely low resolution and will serve no purpose other than framing the shot. Since the resolution isn't even listed, I can almost assure you that this is the case with this monitor which means that you will not be able to pull focus with it.

I tried hooking up my Ikan V8000W monitor to the 5D. This monitor has a resolution of 800x480 which is fairly high for these monitors and the Ikan was still pretty much useless for pulling focus in shallow DOF situations.

My suggestion would be to either pre-order the Zacuto Z-Finder, or follow what Tramm is working on because he MAY soon be able to output an HD signal to the DP1 (fingers crossed).
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I bought one of these form my HV20, and have now used it on my Canon 5D Mark II.

It should not be confused with high def, but the plus side is that since you plug in the SD cable, the image doesn't resizes after commencing recording. So you don't lose that size, at least.

7" LCD Monitor Kit FREE SHIPPING

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; July 24th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In my experience, the Hoodman (or Z-Finder) is best used on a shoulder rig. It's not so useful on a tripod, or balance rig.

Personally, I'm really hoping that the in-camera focus control will work out. I'd love to capture a focus position, set another, record, and then trigger a timed pull from A to B using an IR trigger. That would allow us to do pre-planned rack focus events on a gimbal-type rig without upsetting the balance, and without the need for monitoring beyond framing. For a lot of narrative work, a follow/wireless focus, a nice monitor and a loupe become unnecessary.
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Chris.

I already have a 22" HD monitor that I converted so it clamps to a C-Stand. But even though it's not huge, it's not something I want to take around all the time.

For me, I want to get something small like what Chris suggested to get off the built-in LCD. I really believe this camera wasn't planned by Canon to be used constantly in video mode with the LCD screen being on so much. I'm predicting we are going to see issues down the road with the built in LCD, and knowing how things work in this world, the issues will arrive around the time of the warranty being expired. Also, I think much of the heat being produced during recording is from the LCD as well.

So until the iphone remote is able to hit record for video I want to get something external that's small enough but also not $100's either. This way I can have three monitor options: Run and gun with built-in, small monitor for a little more serious work but portability and for more serious work with set-ups I plan to just run to my 22" monitor. Even in SD it's amazing to use on-set.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

One thing you need to be aware of, that I forgot to mention, is that there is a sound issue that crops up when using the SD out capability of the camera. Essentially, when plugged into the AV jack, the camera records a high pitched noise. It has to be some sort of feed back from the video signal, because, at least in my experience, it is not there when you use the HDMI out.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Oh that's no good! Is this just with video out being used? Or are you trying to send audio out as well?

I do record audio off-camera, but I always use the on-camera audio as my sync track and planned once I really get in to a production to use on-camera audio in my dailies. Do you lose the audio entirely or it there added noise from the feedback?
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It is backgound noise, and will be fine for a pilot track. It can actually be filtered if needed. Attached is a clip from a film I did for an online contest that has the noise.
Attached Files
File Type: wma noisedemo.wma (115.7 KB, 150 views)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD