Newbie Advice for 5DII and Sony Vegas 8.0 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Griffin View Post
Just downloaded the Cineform Neoscene software trial. I see it converts my raw .mov files to .avi files. Is this a LOSSLESS codec transfer? In other words, does the quality remain uncompressed TRUE HD 1080p ??? I play it back and it looks great, but just curious.
No, it is not lossless. It is very good though, as you can see.

Quote:
I do have another question....... so how are you guys monitoring your audio with no headphones jack?????
Record audio separately.
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
...so how are you guys monitoring your audio with no headphones jack?????
The AV jack can output audio during recording, if you use Magic Lantern firmware. With most headphones, you need a headphone amplifier, like the Boostaroo.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So if the converting of the raw .MOV files out of the camera is NOT lossless using Neoscene, it's only function then is to improve the playback while editing?

If I were wanting to keep the best quality, wouldn't it just be better to import the raw .MOV files into Sony Vegas and then 'render as' whatever format I choose?

I know this question has no real answer, but for the most part, what type of file association are you rendering to that gives you the HD quality look that I'm seeing on examples such as... Zelo Cinema Sample Clips on Vimeo ?????

Is the final product rendered into a FLV file? If so, using what format/codec?
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
So if the converting of the raw .MOV files out of the camera is NOT lossless using Neoscene, it's only function then is to improve the playback while editing?
That is one of it's functions

Quote:
If I were wanting to keep the best quality, wouldn't it just be better to import the raw .MOV files into Sony Vegas and then 'render as' whatever format I choose?
That is an option. But it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between lossless and cineform with your naked eye. You're talking about a codec that was used for capture and edit for an Oscar winner last year. It's pretty darn good man.

Quote:
I know this question has no real answer, but for the most part, what type of file association are you rendering to that gives you the HD quality look that I'm seeing on examples such as... Zelo Cinema Sample Clips on Vimeo ?????
If you are finishing to anything other than 35mm film (and maybe even for that) Cineform is as good as uncompressed, without the pain. Vimeo... forget it. AVCHD would be good enough.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The cool thing about Cineform is that the codec is "visually lossless", and that it plays back with low overhead. You can also scale the output to half or quarter size for real time playback very effectively, due to its wavelet coding. By scaling smaller, you leave more CPU for color correction and effects.

Often people use an intermediate format which is visually lossless in addition to low-res proxies, which play back easily. With Cineform, you get both characteristics from one file.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

So in 'newbie' terms, once the raw file is in Sony Vegas 8.0, when I'm ready to render, what file type and codec should I be using to get this kick-butt quality I'm seeing?
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I encode to Sony AVC, 1280x720 at 4Mbps. Audio is AAC at 128 kbps.

But I never put the raw files into Vegas. NeoScene has no negative effect on quality and makes editing a joy.

In fact, the levels will be incorrect if you put the RAW files into Vegas. At a minimum, you need to "rewrap" the MOV files to an MP4 file in Quicktime so that Vegas decodes the correct levels without contouring problems. NeoScene eliminates the MOV decoding bug.
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Will rendering to Sony AVC file format give you the best quality for YouTube and Vimeo uploads for sharing video?

EDIT: No luck rendering to Sony AVC, as I cannot get the file to play back on my computer. Any thoughts?
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM   #24
Inner Circle

You might try uploading it anyway. As long as Vimeo can decode it, they will put it in a format that Flash can play from your browser.
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I've uploaded sony avc to vimeo just fine. But it plays back on my commputer just fine too.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Finally got some basic test footage uploaded to Vimeo using their tutorial. I rendered via MainConcept H.264 and it looks okay, not anything to write home about..........

Untitled on Vimeo
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Finally got some basic test footage uploaded to Vimeo using their tutorial. I rendered via MainConcept H.264 and it looks okay, not anything to write home about..........

Untitled on Vimeo
Looks about as good as one could expect. Good job.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #28
Inner Circle

HD video o Vimeo is 1280x720 H.264 at 5Mbps so for best picture quality you should convert your video to that specification before uploading.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
HD video o Vimeo is 1280x720 H.264 at 5Mbps so for best picture quality you should convert your video to that specification before uploading.
Why is that?
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Nigel,

That's exactly what I did, per the Vimeo tutorial. I used Sony Vegas 8.0 and rendered the avi files as a MainConcept .mp4 file with those settings... 1280 X 720, etc. etc.
Once that file was rendered out, I then uploaded onto Vimeo website.

* Wonder if it would have been better to render in 1920 X 1080 on the MainConcept .mp4 file instead ???
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD