5D Mark II Audio Exposed Series Complete!!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #31
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't had my hands on a Tascam recorder outside NAB. I used to have a contact there. It would have been way cool to compare it to the H4n.
Jon,

I have a Tascam DR-100 on loan from the distributor. We're in the same state so if I send it to you, it would arrive the next day. If you'd like to use it for 2-3 days to run some tests before I have to send it back, you're more than welcome.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Wow. Thanks, Guy.

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to pass for now, as the day job and another project have me consumed. Also, I no longer have the H4n (it was borrowed), and that's the recorder that I'd most like to hear in a head to head comparison.

What I'd really love to hear these up against is one of the Sound Devices recorders. As SD is the gold standard, I'd love to know where these affordable recorders really stand.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.

All the best!
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #33
Contributor

Hey, Guy, have you done anything at all with the Tascam with external mics? The only negative thing I've read about is that one person said it seemed to want more gain. I'd like to know if you can get decent levels without cranking up all the way with a normal short shotgun. One of the problems with my older Microtrack is that you have to go as high as you can to just get a useable level.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
...One of the problems with my older Microtrack is that you have to go as high as you can to just get a useable level.
I have the Microtrack II, and its gain is digital. I'd assume that that the older one has no variable analog gain either. You can test this by lowering the gain below 50% and screaming into your mic. If you see hard clipping in the middle of the digital range, it's proof that the gain is after the A/D.

This means that you should leave the Microtrack II gain at 50% at all times for the best dynamic range. Any gain can be applied in post with the same results as in the MT.

We now use the juicedLink CX231 as a front end to the MT2. It's still slightly noisier than the H4n, but very close in overall performance.
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #35
New Boot

Thanks for all the hard work in your research, John!

After going over all your extensive research, I bought a Zoom H4n; it fulfills more of my needs in the filed, and so far I'm very, very impressed.

Thank you again for all your hard work,

Frank
Frank Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #36
New Boot

Alternative suggestion...

Dear Jon,
I bought my 5DMKII when it first came out and since I watched my first video and noticed that loud hiss. Since then I have read everything you released and I have to thankyou for educating me so well. I shoot live music; mostly songwriters in concert. I've tried many different setups and think I've found the best for my line of work. I use a matched pair of Schoeps MK4's that go into a NBOX pre-amp. I use a -20dB attenuator and plug this directly into the camera. I also run a separate Sound Devices 744T recorder with a Sound Device USBPre2 preamp directly off the soundboard. I dump the video and audio onto my hard drive and then I use Final Cut Pro with Plural Eyes to sync the soundboard audio with the audio recorded by the 5DMKII. It takes less than 5 minutes and I am done. I keep the soundboard audio in the middle of the mix and each mic that was recorded my the 5DMKII panned left or right.
I tried Juicelink, Korg M-1, Sony m-10 as well as a host of other products and while most were pretty good, they all had their drawbacks. I suggest your readers look at the newly released USBPre2 from Sound Device. It is the best all around preamp for recording into a recorder or computer that is portable and requires no power. Hope this is of benefit to you and your readers of which, I am one. Peace, Joe Ray Skrha
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Great tip! I'll definitely check out the Sound Device USBPre2, probably at NAB in April...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD