Workflow in in Avid Media Composer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Workflow in in Avid Media Composer

Hi!
I managed somehow to work with 5d m2 footage in Avid Media Composer. Problem is that the only available sequence profile is 1080i59.94. There is no 1080p30. Well, the import went fine(it took some time and space, but I could easily edit and preview). Problem is export: if I try to export progressive I get stuttering and edges are aliased. If I export interlaced with even field dominance I get a nice .mov playing file. At least theoretically the resulting file is interlaced. But when played with QT it does not look at all interlaced. Previously, when I tryied to play an interlaced file with QT player I could tell for sure that file was interlaced(it had kind of horizontal stripes). This makes my wonder if the file I get with the above mentioned work flow is either progressive or interlaced. Is there any utility I can use to see weather the file is interlaced or progressive???

God help us all!
Christian
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quicktime Pro will tell you info about a file.

It is best if you conform the 30p to 29.97p before you start to edit. I often conform to 24.98 with 5D footage, slows it down really nicely. Then I import to Prores or similar codec in M100 or FCP. It then edits fine and exports very clean. Or plays perfectly on AJA or Matrox devices.

On the mac side of things this is done in Cinema tools. I am sure there is a similar too on PC's.

Sorry I don't use PC's for editing but someone here will point to similar workflow o PC.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Quicktime Pro will tell you info about a file.

At least on a PC neither Quicktime Pro will tell you if the file is interlaced or progressive. Nor in VLC. Amazingly, the supposedly interlaced file has no comb effect at all when played with no matter the player. And it is that missing comb effect that intrigues me.
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu View Post
At least on a PC neither Quicktime Pro will tell you if the file is interlaced or progressive. Nor in VLC. Amazingly, the supposedly interlaced file has no comb effect at all when played with no matter the player. And it is that missing comb effect that intrigues me.
Avid must be able to show clip info about interlaced framerate etc. I have never seen a NLE system that can't.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Tourist

Work Flow Solution

I have also just purchased the Canon 5D Mark 2 and I have always work in Vegas and I having a hard time work with the raw footage from the 5D2. Any suggestions other than working on a mac or running windows vista with 8 gigs of ram

thanx
greg

Edmonton DJ
Greg Pawlechko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD