Screen protector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Screen protector

Hi all,

What do you recommend for the LCD as a screen protector?

Thanks.
Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Does anybody here use one?

Or, it doesn't matter which one we use?
Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Currently I'm using HoodMan USA's HoodSkins Model HSK-3.0, they come in a pack of twelve, the idea is to replace them once per month but I think that's with heavy use -- I'm still on my first one. I also have a Giottos screen protector which is actually a sheet of glass, quite a bit more expensive at $30 considering it's just one, but it's still new in the box... I haven't put it on yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Trustee

I ordered one of those for my Canon XSi and had it on that camera for about 9 months. When I ordered the T1i I carfully pried it off the XSi and put it on the new cam where it's been for 2 months now.

I try not to let any part of the camera take any "licks" but the Giottos protector has no marks or scratches on it and it's obviously done a good job of protecting the LCD screen surface.

I think both it and the "skins" concept represent good approaches.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've got the Hoodman XL skins (for 3.5" to 4" LCDs). The guy at the camera shop said the 3" ones don't completely cover the 5d screen since the 5d rear glass extends beyond the 3" viewable area, so I got the larger ones and cut them down to size.

They're okay. I think they cut down a bit on the brightness. I'm curious about the glass solutions (supposedly they offer up to 95% light transmission, theoretically better than the plastic skin options), but I don't like the idea of getting adhesive on the 5d body for mounting. Plus, they'd interfere with a LCD viewfinder like the hoodloupe, right?
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Here's the HSK-3.0 coverage... (click to see it bigger).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen protector-img_6446.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm nearly certain the camera actually has a built-in protector which can be replaced pretty inexpensively without sending in the camera to Canon. But maybe someone else knows more about that?
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

LCD protector

Yes you are right. Easy to change.

Replaced my 20d LCD Window today: Canon EOS 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hannu Korpinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Major Player

You see?

THIS is what makes this forum sooooo brilliant. I was gutted when I scratched my LCD screen cover last week. Then all of a sudden here's a link to be able to get a new one fairly cheap and replace it myself instead of sending off to Canon.
Have just made enquiries and am hoping to hear soon about getting a replacement ( or maybe two since I appear to be a bit clumsy )

Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge on here. Much appreciated.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
I'm curious about the glass solutions (supposedly they offer up to 95% light transmission, theoretically better than the plastic skin options), but I don't like the idea of getting adhesive on the 5d body for mounting. Plus, they'd interfere with a LCD viewfinder like the hoodloupe, right?
I have noticed no loss in light transmission. I had the same Giotto's glass protector on a Rebel 450D (XSi) and now on the Rebel 500D (T1i), which has an improved LCD which is brighter, sharper, and is now viewable from wider viewing angles. I saw no reduction in image visibility on the XSi and on the T1i I forget it's even there.

No adhesive problem either, it uses adhesive only on the outer rim and when I carefully pried it off the XSi it left no residue. When I put it on the T1i it stuck easily. Great product.

No interference with the Hoodloupe either. For a few weeks I used the Hoodloupe held in place by a 12" rubber band with no real problems, but have since ordered something even better. The CAVISION viewfinder kit designed for the 5D MkII, but with an extra "riser" to raise the T1i higher (T1i has less body beneath the LCD than the 5D MkII) and a "swing away" assembly.

Neither has a problem with the Giotto's glass protector. I still use the Hoodloupe when carrying the camera primarily for stills but still want to be able to handle video "targets of opportunity". The Hoodloupe is handy with the neckstrap, I can place it over the LCD and apply "backpressure" on the camera for short periods of time holding the Hoodloupe in place against my eyeglasses. And it's great for checking stills just taken out in daylight.

When going out for video I "bolt" the CAVISION assembly in place and often mount it all on the SpiderBrace II.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD