5D MarkII, FCPpro and Blackmagic Intensity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D MarkII, FCPpro and Blackmagic Intensity

Hi all,

I'm trying to output my 5D MarkII footage on a HDTV via an Intensity card but find it impossible to do so using the raw files. I get a picture on the TV screen but it's a frozen frame (although in the canvas the video plays smoothly). As the 5D is supposed to be my second cam (I own a Sony EX-1) I managed to play the files by converting it either to xdcam ex 60i or prores 60i as the card doesn't seem to be able to output 1080P. However, compared to the xdcam footage (shot in 50i), it doesn't play smoothly like the real xdcam footage. Furthermore, I notice a strong color banding effect more visible when the files are converted to xdcam ex than prores.
I use Final cut studio 2 on 8core Mac with 10G Ram

Last edited by Dean Gill; August 18th, 2009 at 06:02 AM.
Dean Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dean, I don't have a 5D MKii (yet) but I do have FCP w/ Intensity card. You basically have to get the footage into one of the codecs that the Intensity card uses, otherwise it just shows a still frame and not live video.

I would guess you could do Black Magic ProRes (not sure if that is the exact name--not in front of my machine at the moment) as long as it is one of the setups in the "Easy Setup" option.

Make sense?

-jeff
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, that's exactly what I did. I prepared an Apple ProRes 60i timeline, dropped the 5D files in it and rendered. I then used one of the Blackmagic presets HDTV 1080i 59,94 (1920x1080) and managed to output the footage on my HDTV. The thing is it's painful, the process very long, and the difference in quality between my EX-1 footage and the one delivered by my 5D MK2 is quite obvious, especially on a large HDTV screen. What disturbs me the most is the choppiness of the picture compared to the smooth 50i footage of my EX-1 camera. I suppose the trick would be to properly re-interlace the 30P clips but that's even more complicated.
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't think you can mix 50i with 30P... and if you are converting 30P to 50i then you are
going to have problems too...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Living in Pal land, I'm used to shoot in 50i and I suppose I'm not the only one in that case. I was just wondering if someone had found a not too complicated workflow allowing to decently output the 5d and ex-1 footage from the same timeline using my intensity card.
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Dean,

The only solution I use is to shoot the EX-1 at 29.97 fps in NTSC, then adjust the 5D footage from 30p to 29.97 in FCP. Then covert the whole lot to 25p PAL using the Phil Bloom method.

Painful but pretty much the only way to edit the two in the same timebase.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

too bad, most of my footage is already in 50i...
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Major Player

Then I guess maybe convert the Sony footage to 25p and then convert the Canon footage to 25p using the Bloom method. Edit the whole lot in 25p.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry but 25p no way, don't like it. Well, I guess I made a big mistake thinking I could use the 5D MK2 as a second cam.
Dean Gill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD